Sponsored by:

OT-Anyone have any experience with Sunbeam Alpines/Tigers

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 05:33 PM
samsnead
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT-Anyone have any experience with Sunbeam Alpines/Tigers

With all the turbulence in the markets and the uncertainty of the forseeable future, I have somehow convinced myself to start looking for a Sunbeam Alpine to buy for my father.

He had one when he graduated from college, and only had it for a couple of years. I have always wanted to get him something like this for his 75th birthday. Not knowing much about the cars I started looking for used Tigers, and was shocked by what they are commanding these days.

I have seen some V6 conversions that are referred to as Porsche killers- and have seen a few decent examples online. Hopefully with all the calamity in the financial markets there may be some good opportunities, and I would rather bring some enjoyment to my dad than think about the markets.

I realize I am rambling, but has anyone had experience with these cars?

Thanks
Old 10-01-2008, 05:41 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, I've owned and fixed up a 1966 Sunbeam Tiger MK1A for several years, but sold it to get my Kirkham Cobra, which I've displayed on a different thread here on RL. I don't know a whole lot about the Alpine, except that they use the same body and structure and are also very nice reliable cars.

Tigers have gone up in value with the rest of the muscle and sports cars over the years, but represent great value, especially with the Shelby connection. If the right opportunity came along, I would definitely buy another one.

Let me know if you have any questions, and I would be happy to try an answer them.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:17 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have seen some V6 conversions that are referred to as Porsche killers
A fellow around here runs a Tiger in hillclimbs. It has some sort of NASCAR V8 in it and it's remarkable to watch.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:24 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

With the advent of cheap stroker engines in recent years, the original 260 has the same dimensions as a 302, whoich can be stroked to 331 or 347 cubi inches. Roush has a 353 using an aftermarket Dart engine block. Thus, flywheel HP in the area of 450-500 HP in these 2,500 lb cars is amazing, but they do have they're quirks.

My Kirkham Cobra weighed in at 2,146 lbs with a full tank of gas and has an all aluminum 482ci (stroked 427) with 601 flywheel HP.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:29 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The few examples I know of in New England had serious rust issues.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:10 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alpines have a reputation of being quite underpowered if that matters to your father. They're also pretty rare as a fair number were "converted" to Tigers. If you go the Tiger route be sure it's a legit. Tiger and not a conversion.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:28 PM
CentralCoastC4S
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I remember correctly, the V8 had to be wedged in so tightly that one spark plug must be reached through the passenger compartment floorboard, a little cover
is provided which is removed, giving access to the plug. Nice little cars
with good power, do watch out for conversions from Alpines.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:41 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Correct regarding the spark plug, but if you're skilled and have the right tools, it can be had from top side too.

There are a couple of successful racing Alpines which race in the Monterey Historics as well as in the day that won a championship or two. I think D production, but I may be wrong.

As I said, the Tigers have their quirks, and are prone to rust just like early 911's or American musclecars, but they're great cars with appreciation potential. As for getting a REAL one, the Tiger clubs have a program called TAC or Tiger Authentication Committee. Three qualified Tiger experts inspect the car upside and down and issue a certifcate of authenticity, if it passes inspection, even if it's a rust bucket. They have inspectors all around the country. They have TAC'ed about 750-800 Tigers to date. They only made about 7,000 total worldwide, of which about 1/2 are estimated to still exist.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:37 PM
samsnead
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tips, not too familiar with these cars.

Quick Reply: OT-Anyone have any experience with Sunbeam Alpines/Tigers