New here - future U.S. citizen

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 03:06 AM
PV38
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile New here - future U.S. citizen

Hi ... clearly new here.

My name is Pascal, I come from France where I am leaving with my family actually. For my career path, I could have an opportunity to come to the USA (bay area). I have a porsche 993 that I would like to bring with me.

This is a 993 C2 at the origin but transform to a 993 RS touring.

I need your lights here: is it possible to import, without too much problems, this car ? Or should I need to sell it in France (shame).

Few pics of my car:

Thanks for your help!
Note > a quick "hi" to the francophone who I already met on french porsche web sites.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:17 AM
ddsiu
Instructor

Cant really help you with your question, but I just want to comment on what a beautiful 993 you've got there and hope you dont end up having to sell it.

Good luck
Old 09-29-2008, 07:46 AM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

993s are much cheaper in the USA than in Europe.
PM me if you still decide to have yours shipped. A friend of mine does this for a living. He is also French.
He takes care of the shipping and also registering process of commercial and recreational vehicles worldwide. He is presently based in the USA.
Give me a few days and I should have some info for you.

A+

Johan
Old 09-29-2008, 02:27 PM
PV38
Track Day

Ok thanks.

Well, my 993 is not a 993 S (in terms of 2S or 4S) but a RS model (for race track). I know that this model was not able to be sell in the U.S. because of the pollution.

I have the same kind of exhaust than the ones RUF sales. This kind but with valves:

. My guessing is that the pollution will be a problem to have the U.S. certification.
The gears in this 993 is not longer the standard one , but using a "small bridge" (not sure of the translation) => short gears.
I use carbon lorraine (whistle like a train stopping in a train station ).
My steering wheel is a RS version without airbag.
The wheels are speedlines 18' specific RS model ... etc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_993#Carrera_RS
http://www.qv500.com/porsche993p4.php

I also do not have the U.S. version of the bumpers.

In other words, my car is a replica of the 993 RS that never been sale in the U.S. and my first guessing is that it will be a real challenge to import it here. I really want to use it on laguna :P ...

If someone can help me here.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:04 PM
Leucadia
Racer

Hi Pascal, welcome to the USA.
Sounds like you have a very cool car, it would be a pity to leave it behind. Hopefully someone here can advise you.

Slightly off topic, but since you mentioned all the USA based rules/certifications...I used to live abroad for many years and really enjoyed the loose and flexible interpretation of rules. Several guys in my car club in Taiwan had full blown race cars they would drive on the street that had no plates, no turn signals, and direct exhaust. Speed limits were also not enforced on many outlaying roads. In short, it was a hell of alot more fun than USA. Law enforcement in most other countires seem to prioritize better than we do here. I had about a 4 month reverse culture shock upon my return here. Enjoy NorCal, but be prepared to be nitpicked, mothered, and nannied to death at every turn.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:51 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by PV38
The gears in this 993 is not longer the standard one , but using a "small bridge" (not sure of the translation) => short gears.
Salut, Pascal, et bienvenue! Yep, short gears (although in this case 'pont' means 'axle').

Unfortunately I can't help too much with the legalities of importation except to say that I would be shocked if you could legally register such a car in California without an unrealistic amount of work. Given the price of 993s here compared to Europe, and the strength of the € compared to the dollar, selling your car, buying a nice 993 and setting it up as you wish might well be both faster and cheaper. If you do this, either bring your car's current short transmission or a /21 gearbox with you - they're expensive here!

Hopefully someone here will have better news for you.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:43 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

PV38,

Welcome to the Forum. You have a beautiful car.

As Porsche sold the 993 models in the U.S. the federalization process is relatively painless. I heard that the parts that needs to be changed for registration are mostly cosmatic. But you need to consult an expert in this area as rules and regulations do change.

How long is your stay here, or is that permanent? If it is permanent then it is definitely worth-while to bring the car over. Reading the thread title I guess it is a long-term move. If it is a year or two then the numbers may not work out so well.

Best of luck.

CP
Old 09-29-2008, 07:52 PM
PV38
Track Day

Thanks for all the answers !

That was my suspicion / guessing: sale the car in France and get a new "toy" here.

Ed > thanks for the vocabulary helpful !

CP > 993 BTR !!!!!!! Yammyyyyyy. Los Altos is very near Mountain View LOL

In any case, I have to negotiate my transfer, sale the house in France and packed every thing before starting my Nor Cal adventure

Thanks for the answers. My understanding now is to sale my car and get a new one here.
I will browse this web site to see where Nor Cal folks doing their car service and the best way to minimize the costs and understand what is the average budget in the U.S.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:57 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

PV38,

You get an A in geography. When you get here, PM me for a get-together.

CP
Old 09-30-2008, 04:23 AM
PV38
Track Day

I am still be here (Mountain View / Central Expwy) until end of this week with my wife and my little boy.

I will be glad to see you. Let's try something by PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:32 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 144 Posts

Welcome and keep your car if at all possible!!!
Old 09-30-2008, 11:00 AM
Butzi
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Welcome, and bring euros!!!
Old 09-30-2008, 11:10 AM
Boston911fan
Pro

Originally Posted by Butzi
Welcome, and bring euros!!!
Yeah, and God forbid that you can't bring your car, bring your RS parts because buying them in the US from Europe is going to be expensive because of the exchange and because of shipping. Good luck! My cousin lives in Burlingame, which is near Mountain View, and it's a beautiful area! I try to visit her once a year.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:41 PM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My friend Stephane at www.Prevexcorp.com can help you with the worldwide shipping and registering of any vehicle. Check your email.

If anybody else is interested, please contact me directly. Their prices are very hard to beat. They take care of everything for you.

Cheers,
Old 10-12-2008, 01:25 PM
PV38
Track Day

Thanks and replied.

I have an other question now ... IF I sell the car ... where do you buy usually your porsche in the U.S. (No Cal) ?

Any web sites ?

Quick Reply: New here - future U.S. citizen