993 Forum 1995-1998

Whirring sound under deceleration and at idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 09:10 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 416 Posts
Default Whirring sound under deceleration and at idle

I have an odd whirring sound coming from the rear of the car. If the clutch is 1/2 to fully depressed I get nothing. If the car is under acceleration, nothing. However, at idle with the clutch out and in neutral or when I lift off the throttle while in gear I get a whirring almost siren like sound. Could the transmission fluid be low? Could my clutch be shot or simply (yeah I know few things are simple on these) require an adjustment? The car behaves as normal otherwise.

Also, I am planning on doing an Auto-X tomorrow and was wondering if it could cause some heavy duty damage to the gearbox.

993 C4 6sp. w/RS lightweight flywheel and clutch.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:24 AM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

bump
Old 09-29-2008, 11:33 AM
johnnypiedras
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just went through this, the sound was making me crazy, it sounded like the car had a super charger.when u turn on your ac or lights does the pitch change? if so, its the alternator, even though the alt is working it will make that sound. had two install new one to get rid of sound
Old 09-29-2008, 02:07 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by johnnypiedras
just went through this, the sound was making me crazy, it sounded like the car had a super charger.when u turn on your ac or lights does the pitch change? if so, its the alternator, even though the alt is working it will make that sound. had two install new one to get rid of sound
Sound is coming from the underside of the car and disappears when the clutch is 1/2 or more depressed. The alternator is relatively new and no whining sound comes from it. I'm thinking it's the throwout bearing. I auto-x'd the car yesterday and it was fine except for the sound.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:34 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Fred,

Sounds like the TOB to me as well, but a close inspection is necessary to confirm.

Oftentimes, we will repack these with a better grease before installation when new.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:55 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Fred,

Sounds like the TOB to me as well, but a close inspection is necessary to confirm.

Oftentimes, we will repack these with a better grease before installation when new.
Thanks Steve!
Old 04-26-2009, 09:48 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Bump. Well, the sound vanished last year but reappeared yesterday. If I'm not mistaken the throwout bearing is always being spun but the pinion bearing only spins when the clutch is engaged. Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmm, in this case whirrrrrrrrrrrr.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:56 PM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the same sound. i think i was told it is the TOB as well. how long does one have until it goes and affects the clutch?

Quick Reply: Whirring sound under deceleration and at idle