Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent Horn problem - help please.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008 | 05:44 AM
Greg Bell
Rennlist Member

Default Intermittent Horn problem - help please.

Hi,
I have this intermittent problem with the horn sounding unintentionally. When it happens I am either turning left or right with the front suspension under compression where I am pulling into a driveway or sometimes around a roundabout. The funny thing is I can go for days without it happening then for some reason it comes back at the same point, usually pulling into my driveway.

I'm hoping someone has had the same problem and can tell me where to start looking.

TIA.
Old 09-20-2008 | 02:05 PM
colo993
Advanced

Greg,

Lately I've had the exact same problem with 95 993. As you described, it only happens when I'm turning right or left and usually going down a slight hill.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Paul
Old 09-20-2008 | 03:28 PM
DesertBighorn
Instructor

Mine started with hard turns and a bump, like into my driveway and eventually started sounding during braking, like stop and go on the freeway. Image the looks, "....what does that guy in that convertible expect me to do, everytime I stop he honks at me....." There are some grommets on a horn plate under the steering wheel that give way an allow inadvertent horn actuations. There are several threads on this with DIY fixes. If you have a 96 to 98 I believe you can buy the new plate with grommets. I just bought a used wheel and new plate to fix mine. Apparently 95s are different than later years and the replacement part does not work in 95s only.

-Doug
Old 09-20-2008 | 03:33 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Edit: Doug posted while I was typing. His solution is more specific than mine.

I've not had problems with my 993's horn, but most horn circuits are actually two circuits...Pressing the horn "bar" closes one circuit that activates a relay that then closes the circuit that sounds the horn.

Problems can occur:

1. In the steering wheel itself (Loose horn bar, broken/out of position return springs, etc.)

2. At the point where positive and ground wires exit the steering column and make contact with the steering wheel/horn bar contacts.

3. Loose/bare wires anywhere in the circuit shorting out under certain conditions and closing the horn circuit.

4. A bad horn relay.

A hint for trouble shooting without driving your wife/neighbors crazy repeatedly by blowing the horn...Unplug the horns and plug in a test light that will illuminate when you close the horn circuit.

Good luck.

Terry
Old 09-20-2008 | 05:12 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Guys this is a VERY common problem, esp. in 1995's. Will probably start showing up in later cars too. I dont' have time to do a search, but there are many many discussions of this out there. 1995 owners can't just buy a replacement airbag frame since it's obsolete ... you'd have to buy a new airbag to fit the 1996+ frame. So you're kinda stuck with fixing the one you have, somehow. 1996+ owners just buy the airbag frame.

Last edited by TheOtherEric; 09-21-2008 at 12:25 AM.
Old 09-20-2008 | 07:56 PM
McQueen993
Instructor

Do yourself a favor and buy a new three-spoke steering wheel when the problem arises. I did it and couldn't be happier.
Old 09-20-2008 | 09:35 PM
kcirderf
Rennlist Member

My car just sarted doing the same thing. After examination, I narrowed it down to the retaining frame. 993 347 088 01. The rubber springs have started to lose some of their stiffness. It's about $75 from pelican.

Fred
Old 09-20-2008 | 10:13 PM
Greg Bell
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the feedback, looks like the airbag has to come off... I'm not looking forward to that.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Horn problem - help please.