ignition on Left.....myth busted?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 12:04 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default switch placement

The clever folks at Saab...Terry Adams
I always understood that the Saab switch was in the middle, as part of a gear shift lock out security system.

Rinty
Old 09-20-2008, 12:23 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Butzi
Actually, I did know that, told my wife the other month shopping for child car seats (Recaro makes those, too!), but I love factoids & Porsche history, keep 'em coming....wait, I said I'm done, what am I doing here?
As are many of the commercial airplane seats we all fly on.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:33 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Rinty
I always understood that the Saab switch was in the middle, as part of a gear shift lock out security system.

Rinty
Porsche also had a gear shift lock on most 356s, but used a separate key.

Regarding the Le Mans starts, applying logic and reason doesn't always work. While it makes no sense to many that drivers would hurry to be first out on the track, 99% of them did it. Most spent the first laps securing their belts or harnesses, leading to the elimination of the traditional starts for safety reasons as pointed out above.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:00 PM
Boston911fan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
As are many of the commercial airplane seats we all fly on.
Yes, I saw them on the Lufthansa Boeing 747-400 I was on last year to Frankfurt! Here in Boston, the MBTA or the "T" (that's our public transportation system), has relatively new city buses that run on natural gas and the driver's seat is by Recaro.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:23 PM
Smiles
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rinty

Rinty
Right. Instead of a steering wheel lock, as most cars have, the SAAB has a gearshift lock, keeping it in reverse.

For what it's worth, the 32 Ford was one of the first cars with the steering lock. I pulled one apart once in order to start a '32 and it was a piece of cake; any thief could have done it, as well as hotwire the car, with its unlocked hood sides. I have an MG TD which is ridiculously easy to hotwire, with no steering lock. (Send me a PM and I'll give you my street address, along with a tracing of my house key. )

But the lockable steering was also a safety feature. When parking on hills, one should leave the car's front wheels turned into the curb (kerb) when facing downhill, and away from the curb when facing uphill. The steering lock helped keep it this way.

One final historic note: a lot of pre-war American cars had exterior door locks only on the passenger side. It was assumed that people would normally exit and enter a car with an easy-to-slide-across bench seat on the safe curb side.

But back to my earlier question: isn't keeping the ignition key to the left of the steering wheel for racing purposes similar to keeping RHD for the same reasons? What's really the reason?
Old 09-20-2008, 09:33 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Smiles

But back to my earlier question: isn't keeping the ignition key to the left of the steering wheel for racing purposes similar to keeping RHD for the same reasons? What's really the reason?
I think you dismissed the "tradition" reason far to quickly in your earlier post. If it were not for tradition driven loyalty to the 911, it would have been gone entirely years ago.
The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (06-05-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 12:26 AM
MVMajor
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

save money on wiring
Old 06-05-2021, 09:26 AM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 769 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by MVMajor
save money on wiring
13 yo thread from the grave ………
The following users liked this post:
Ralph3. (06-06-2021)

Quick Reply: ignition on Left.....myth busted?