Sponsored by:

Alabama visit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 06:36 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Alabama visit?

I'm coming to visit and check out some real estate. I'll be in Birmingham, Mobile and Orange Beach (weather permitting) from 9/25-9/29.

Would love to see your car and buy you a beer. Did just that in Portland and had a great time with Bluejam!

Also interested in any "must do" recommendations, including food or drink. Probably stopping for lunch in Montgomery 9/29 on the way back to ATL. Making a big triangle. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-14-2008, 12:45 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 355 Posts

Chuck,

I'm north of Atlanta now, but Birmingham is my hometown and the Orange Beach/Gulf Shores area is my old stompin' grounds.

Just got back from Perdido Key (The Florida end of The Gulf Shores/Orange Beach beaches). I'm down there 5-6 times a year and am pretty familiar with the area....If you like Italian food, try Lillian's...One of the top 100 independent Italian restaurants in the U.S. and the best Stromboli I've had anywhere. Or cruise on down to the east end of Perdido and just as the road turns inland, you'll see The Reef on your right. The restaurant is over a bar and has one of the best grouper sandwiches on the panhandle...Or drive on across the bridge, turn left at the first light and in about a mile you'll come to The Point...The best fried seafood platter I've ever had.

In Birmingham, if you have a chance drive over the Bessemer (About 30 minutes) and try the Bright Star restaurant...I've been eating there since 1949 (Seriously) and they've been written up in so many different food magazines it's unreal....Seafood and steaks with a Greek emphasis...The Red Snapper is killer.

Oh, and while you're in Birmingham, go out to Barber Mortorsports Park ( http://www.barbermotorsports.com/) and check out the museum....A phenominal collection of motorcycles and race cars, a lot of the Lotus race cars (Loti?).

Hope you have a good visit.

Terry
Old 09-15-2008, 01:53 AM
dcdude
Drifting

I know this is OT, but thanks so much for the input, Terry!

I think I'll make it over to Bright Star and definitely out to Perdido Key.

If anyone else has anything to add, please do...thanks!
Old 09-15-2008, 09:41 AM
bart1
Race Car

Bright Star is good. My favorite resturaunt just about anywhere in the world is Gianmarco's in Homewood (Birmingham). Barber is a cool track - not sure if anything is going on then: www.barbermotorsports.com

I might be able to meet up with you, but I live 1.5 hours from BHM.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:28 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Thanks to y'all's advice, I'm staying in Homewood and Orange Beach. I think I found some more authentic local grub in B-ham:

Of "Fried Green Tomatos" fame http://www.irondalecafe.com/

BBQ, my fave http://www.10best.com/Birmingham,AL/...nts/Barbecue/#

Great rock club that technically never closes http://www.thenickrocks.com/about.asp

Hope to get togther with Bart on Friday a week from now!
Old 09-24-2008, 10:05 PM
bart1
Race Car

The original Dreamland in Tuscaloosa was awesome. They have gotten much more commercial since then. I have never been to the one in Bha, Jim n Nicks is really good, as is Bob Sykes. Another authentic, popular local resturaunt is Niki's West.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:02 AM
mikestash
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Orange Beach on 9/26 through 9/28. I would highly suggest checking out the scene at the FloraBama Lounge and Package store. One of the last great institutions in this world. I will be there Saturday afternoon. I may not need another beer but you can still buy me one. I think we are going to take the boat over but will see if I can get someone to drive the car... (because the boat is so much safer after a few beers... wtf?)

In Birmingham, you have one of the best chef's in the southeast - Frank Stitt. He owns Highlands Bar and Grill and Chez FonFon. I highly recommend either but Chez FonFon has some of the best steak frites this side of the left bank.

Also, while in orange beach, eat fresh fried mullet. A nice redneck riviera delicacy.

Quick Reply: Alabama visit?