Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Failed Smog...Italian Tune up!!???

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 11:56 PM
rampfar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Failed Smog...Italian Tune up!!???

Yes this is a follow up to earlier posting and I have searched and found bits and here and there about the Italian tune up.....the car is a '95 993 Carrera 2..early build. Can somebody be very basic starting at running present gas down to empty and start with the Techron...littleor big bottle....etc...etc...I am very basic when it comes to directions.....Thanks ahead of time for your help....Roger
Old 09-08-2008, 12:49 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rampfar
Yes this is a follow up to earlier posting and I have searched and found bits and here and there about the Italian tune up.....the car is a '95 993 Carrera 2..early build. Can somebody be very basic starting at running present gas down to empty and start with the Techron...littleor big bottle....etc...etc...I am very basic when it comes to directions.....Thanks ahead of time for your help....Roger
Well, the bottle itself kinda spells it out. The size of the bottle is relative to the gallons of gas. If I recall correctly, one is to be used with 12 gallons, the larger with 20 gallons. http://www.chevron.com/products/ourf...tives/tcp.aspx

That said, it won't hurt to put a big bottle in with a full tank in a 993 when you are trying to solve a problem.
I can't recall what emissions issue you have... but good luck! Hope it works for you.

Pour it in.
Fill your tank.
Drive... like it was meant to be driven. Wind it up
Old 09-08-2008, 01:13 AM
rampfar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you run the tank dry with the additive and then oil change and down to the smog testers???? Roger
Old 09-08-2008, 01:46 AM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After my car sat in the shop for several months, I failed my smog test the first time too. I tried a product by CRC called "Gauranteed to Pass". All I did was add it to a fresh tank of gas, then take my car out for a spirited drive and burned about 1/4 tank, then took it back while it was all warmed up, and it passed. I don't know if it was the fresh gas, the italian tune up or the G2P, but it only cost about $6-7.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:27 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rampfar
Do you run the tank dry with the additive and then oil change and down to the smog testers???? Roger
an oil change couldn't hurt but likely won't make/break the results unless you are running to the edge of the mileage limits for your oil.

Some here time their use of Techron just prior to oil change. I'm not sure it matters on a well maintained, driven right (to redline on most drives), non-stop/go driven motors.
If the car idles for long periods in traffic or is driven lightly then this is probably a good idea as there would be more schmeg to clear out.
Techron itself burns with the fuel. I really doubt there is much residiual from the product ending up in the oil.
All my opinion, of course. An oil engineer here might have more empirical data based on tests...

oh and yes, run through the entire tank of fuel with the additive.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:50 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I go to the same emissions and safety shop (4x a year) and the guy who owns the place said that he has heard about every trick in the book. A majority of them do not work.

His suggestion to people is a fresh oil change, high octane gas, and blow out a little steam with the car before you come in for testing. Maybe try a can of BG-44k. I put a can in every 3 or 4 months anyway. When you go again for emissions, ask them to stop the test if its going to fail. The right shop can do that.

For carb based vehicles, its turning the carb down so it runs like crap and that seems to make them pass. That is the ONLY thing that worked for my Bronco. I did the fresh oil change (even though it was only changed 700 miles prior), paid like $65 to have one of those kits hooked up and clean things out, and then my time. So I spent about $125 and a few hours of my time trying the tricks and the end result was nothing. Turned down my carb so it wouldnt run "rich" and passed with flying colors.

Quick Reply: Failed Smog...Italian Tune up!!???