Sponsored by:

Reminder to check your batteries

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 10:38 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by glenn '88 944S
Steve, this is the danger of posting your always helpful info: (a dumba$$ like me might ask a stupid question ). What are you referring to about having to perform MAF adaptation ?
Hi Glenn,

First,...there truly is no such thing as a "stupid question". The only ones that are really stupid are the ones that are never asked.

In some cases, the MAF loses calibration when the battery is disconnected and it requires adaptation after the battery is reconnected. Its a simple procedure but can be avoided by keeping minimal power on the car with that 9v battery.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:29 AM
AX993
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
In some cases, the MAF loses calibration when the battery is disconnected and it requires adaptation after the battery is reconnected. Its a simple procedure but can be avoided by keeping minimal power on the car with that 9v battery.
Steve,
I've recently had my battery out for almost a week while doing the A/C evaporator. In what cases would the MAF lose calibration (and how would I know if it did), and what is the procedure to perform MAF adaptation (or is it in the workshop manuals)?
Thanks,
Glenn
Old 09-07-2008, 11:58 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Hi Glenn,

First,...there truly is no such thing as a "stupid question". The only ones that are really stupid are the ones that are never asked.

Uh, Steve, can you elaborate on the calibration issue a little further? As part of the work I was going to do (pull front bumper to replace both resistors, replace fender gaskets ect.). I was going to clean the MAF w/ CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner. I would assume this would cause it to loose calibration.

As for the 9v tool, I have one that plugs into the cig lighter but since resetting the readiness codes hasn't been an issue for me on this car using the BMW Drive Cycle the only thing it would buy me is saving the radio station pre-sets .

Quick Reply: Reminder to check your batteries