Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT Rant - Do lots of people text while driving?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 12:00 AM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OT Rant - Do lots of people text while driving?

I've noticed quite a few younger folk texting while driving - while the car is moving and not just at the lights It has been obvious as the cars are driven slow and erratically. Is this common place now? I thought some people couldn't talk on the cell phone and drive but this has got to take the cake.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:06 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

We are still seeing some of this despite a silly law about "hands-free" cell phone usage in California effective 1 July. I can't imagine anyone can pull that off.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:57 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
We are still seeing some of this despite a silly law about "hands-free" cell phone usage in California effective 1 July. I can't imagine anyone can pull that off.
That's hands to the ear free (symptom). No one said anything about hands to hands (disease). It's prolific here, the younger the worse. Saw a girl texting and smoking the other day. Ahh...Hollywood!
Old 09-04-2008, 09:48 AM
davesnothere
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A buddy of mine got rear-ended in bumper to bumper traffic about a year ago by a girl who was too busy texting to pay enough attention. Luckily the speeds were very low and no damage to his car.

Nice guy that my buddy is (too nice sometimes), he was trying to let the girl back into traffic after they had checked everything out. Of course, the girl missed her opportunity as she was STILL looking down at her phone!

I can only imagine the text: "omg i just hit smbdy lol"

Yet another reason why we can't have autobahns.

- Dave
Old 09-04-2008, 11:21 AM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

check this out.....how senseless is this

http://www.boston.com/news/local/art...xting_da_says/

Theres also a guy in MA that hit and run killed a guy while texting. his buddy -rightly- blew the whistle and admitted the guys was texting him after he left the party at like 2 am.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:35 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im all for hands free and no texting while driving laws. I rarely text and prefer to just talk.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:38 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 257 Posts

Want to talk/text on a cellphone? Pull over.

Want to drive? Drive.

Simple .
Old 09-04-2008, 12:01 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Around the DC area I see the oblivious talkers, texting, and reading!!! Ding bats with books, newspapers, etc... and going slow, erratic and all. Where do these 'people' come from???? What morons.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:02 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

well to be fair, there are plenty of people that don't drive so well while eating, drinking coffee, reprimanding their kids, looking at a map, reading a paper, putting on makeup, etc.

Texting while driving is dangerous. So is all of the above. Im sure some of you are guilty of that as well.

Full disclosure- I have sent text messages while driving, but only if absolutely necessary.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:28 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a silly law about "hands-free" cell phone usage in California
I'm not sure the law is silly but I have yet to see much enforcement. I do love the fact I can tell my teenage daughter to leave her phone in the glove compartment when she drives (the new CA law prohibits ANY use of a phone/texting device for under 18 drivers - including hands free). I also have to agree with Quadcammer, if we had tougher licensing laws we'd have better drivers. Given the differences in licensing requirements it's probably fair to say that the Germans are the only ones who deserve to have an autobahn.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:42 PM
Chuck A.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing surprises me any more. A few years ago I saw a guy playing the guitar while driving on the highway. I saw it out of the corner of my eye and slowed down to confirm what I saw. The guy just looked at me and kept playing.

I shook my head in disbelief and continued on my way.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:19 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What's it gonna take?

The day b4 yesterday I saw a guy reading a paperback book in stop and go commuting traffic in Denver on I25. I was on my motorcycle and came up next to him and pounded on his window.....it did not phase him....he kept right on reading...ugh!
Old 09-04-2008, 04:24 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by boulderbobo
The day b4 yesterday I saw a guy reading a paperback book in stop and go commuting traffic in Denver on I25. I was on my motorcycle and came up next to him and pounded on his window.....it did not phase him....he kept right on reading...ugh!
I saw the same thing here in Orlando, FL on I4

Not to worry... cars will soon come out with internet access as well... So you will have people that are reading, eating, smoking, texting, on the phone, and surfing the net while they are at the drivers seat....

<Sent from my blackberry>
Old 09-04-2008, 04:38 PM
CADguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Want to talk/text on a cellphone? Pull over.

Want to drive? Drive.

Simple .
+1

on: I see so much crappy driving here in Colorado, and I can see that alot of it is due to cell phones.

If I ever get hit by someone that wasn't paying attention cause of cell phone use, I'll probably go nuts

off:
Old 09-04-2008, 09:40 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Unfortunately, this issue is even happening in the strict highways of Germany. One day when I was near the Stuttgart airport in my 997S I saw a woman on her cell phone while in a cloverleaf, starting to accelerate onto the autobahn. In Germany, it is fully against the law to be on the cell phone while driving. Period. If you want to talk you pull over into one of many rest stops around. It's amazing to see that even in Germany this stuff is getting out of control.

Today I called a cab company (here in Calif) because I watched their cab driver talking on a phone while holding it up to his ear...and driving. I complained. No one out here cares less about this,--unless THEY are affected.

Quick Reply: OT Rant - Do lots of people text while driving?