Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Winter experience with 993?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 03:27 PM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was planning to drive my C4 through last winter, and even bought a set of winter wheels (cups w/Nokian WR's). When push came to shove, I couldn't bear to subject the car to the onslaught of ice, salt and SUV's with bald all season tires. Thankfully, last winter was very mild and I made it through on my BMW 550.

My previous 997 C2 was a 12-month car and did amazingly well with the Conti Wintercontact T810's, better than any SUV I've ever driven except for clearance.

For this winter, I'm planning to put snow tires on a '90 Mercedes 300TE wagon...
Old 08-31-2008, 07:31 PM
Robert993TT
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its been very interesting to read your thought about driving the 993 during winter condition so far. Sooner or later all cars begins to rust. Due to the age of the car one must take this to consideration. I drove a Alfa Romeo GTV for 8 years all year round. Its not famous for its rust protection. It was in very good condition when I sold it. In fact it was in much better condition than many other cars with better reputation. I donīt think one could tell its been used in the winter. It is possible to extend a cars life even if its been used in the winter by taking care of it. I really miss that 3 litre V6 engine. The sound it made was even better on snow covered roads.

The lack of PSM on older 911 makes it more demanding to drive during winter condition if exceeding the limit of the grip of the tires. I donīt know whats it like in the United States or Canada for the matter. In Sweden you must use winter tires by law from December to April. I would never dream of using summer tires on any car since I know the difference. If it was like night and day to use the specially prepared rally tires on the frozen lake and normal winter tires on the snowcoverd and icy public roads. The same can be said about winter and summer tires.

The newer 911 is very easy to drive during winter condition due to PSM. On the frozen lake it was very boring however. With a automatic equipped car you could go flat out on a slalom course without drama. With PSM off you could change the balance of the car by using more throttle of backing of. The automatic gearbox was hopeless since it wanted to change gear when you didnīt want it to. I preferred the manual equipped cars. Both the Carrera S and 4S was nice to drive. One would think that with the engine in the back the balance would be hopeless but it really was very easy to control. Much more predictable than the Cayman S or Boxster which either understeered or oversteered without notice. You really had to be on your watch.

I am not interested in driving the 993TT as a daily driver during the winter season. My car comes equipped with harder suspension and short shifter. It would be nice to learn the balance of the car on the frozen lake. Sadly its too far away. The cars limit is very high under normal circumstances as most of you know. One mistake and its all over. Winter condition lower the cars limit a lot. It doesnīt take high speed. A very big parking lot could be enough. With summer tires itīs not even worth the effort. Somehow I doubt the high speed winter tires would be enough since they are suppose to perform on German autobahn when the temerature is low. They are adequate on snow but not really winter tires compared to the best tires used here in Sweden. The specially prepared rally tires are not allowed on public roads. I am sure you understand the dilemma.

Last edited by Robert993TT; 08-31-2008 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:16 PM
polaris 993 sport
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

I have Micheline winter tires bliteck or something that
have enormous grip on ice. I drive mine all winter with no worries and no four wheel drive.
We don't have salt but we do have gravel and cinder.Not good for the windscreens I must admit!
I feel the 993 has a snug feeling in winter, with the right tires. If you want a garage queen, don't drive in winter!!!!!

Quick Reply: Winter experience with 993?