Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed my brake master cylinder, now have a soft pedal. What'd I do wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008 | 11:38 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Default Changed my brake master cylinder, now have a soft pedal. What'd I do wrong?

So I replaced my brake master cylinder and bled all 4 corners, but my brake pedal is complete mush. However, I did NOT operate the brake pedal while bleeding (just used a power bleeder). Will re-bleeding solve it, or do I need to have the ABS bled with a Hammer / Durametric?

Changing the m/c was actually pretty easy... too bad I screwed it up!
Old 08-28-2008 | 12:56 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Go out for a drive and find a dirt road where it is safe and get the ABS to fire up and then bleed the brakes again. Sounds like you might have air bubble straped in your ABS system.
Old 08-28-2008 | 01:24 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Or air still in the M/C. Its usually best to bench bleed the m/c before installing. Keep bleeding. Also, you can cycle your ignition switch in between bleeds.
Old 08-28-2008 | 08:41 AM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
Go out for a drive and find a dirt road where it is safe and get the ABS to fire up and then bleed the brakes again. Sounds like you might have air bubble straped in your ABS system.
+1. You also may want to do the rubber mallet tap on the calipers during bleeding, I am always suprised at how much air comes out doing that.
Old 08-28-2008 | 12:10 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
I can't do that because the pedal is complete mush, i.e. no brakes at all. Perhaps that supports Chris' comment that air is trapped in the m/c.
Old 08-28-2008 | 12:28 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Makes sense, with air in the m/c it would do just that. Didn't realize that you had no brakes at all. Good luck.
Old 08-28-2008 | 12:29 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

If you didn't bench bleed the MC, that's probably the culprit. Way back when I changed the MC on my old 911 without knowing about bench bleeding...and bleeding the damned thing took forever, and I could never get a hard pedal. I finally just pulled it out and bench bled it, and all was good after that.
Old 08-28-2008 | 05:19 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Noah
...bleeding the damned thing took forever, and I could never get a hard pedal. I finally just pulled it out and bench bled it, and all was good after that.
Awww crap. I really didn't wanna take that back out. Brake fluid running down my arm into my shirt wasn't the best experience.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-28-2008 | 07:34 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Doing some googling, it looks like "bench bleeding" isn't as easy as pouring in some fluid. Can anyone offer advice on how to bench bleed a porsche m/c?

Quick Reply: Changed my brake master cylinder, now have a soft pedal. What'd I do wrong?