Old 08-27-2008, 02:51 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Need a seat motor fix or part - Help!! have part #

1995 993 Cabriolet
Part # 928 624 136 00
Bosch # 390 206 675

My seat will not move forwards or backwards. The switch is fine as well as the flexible cables. When I hit the switch on the seat the motor engages, but does not move forward or backward. I have not interchanged the one from the drivers side yet. I also tried to move the seat manually by inserting a hex key in the opening next to the motor. This would not even budge the seat in any direction. I tried the hex key on the drivers side and it moved manually with ease. I pulled the motor out of the seat and it is very hard to move manually and it sticks from time to time. So I have come to the conclusion that the seat motor is bad. Does anyone have a fix or a extra motor they would want to sell? Stealer wants $355.00 for this part. TIA

Mike
Old 08-27-2008, 03:06 PM
nels415
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default fix

Mike,

Your seat symptoms sound similar to the issues I had. I followed a great DIY from Garrett and saved some bucks. Check it out.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/269624-reworking-the-seat-adjustment-switches-no-need-to-replace-them.html

-nelson
Old 08-27-2008, 03:36 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Originally Posted by nels415
Mike,

Your seat symptoms sound similar to the issues I had. I followed a great DIY from Garrett and saved some bucks. Check it out.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269624

-nelson
Nelson:

Thanks for the link, but the switches are not the problem. They work fine and power is getting to the motor via the switch. When I depress the switch the motor acts like it wants to move but is frozen. I also know the way to move the seat manually via the hex key and this does not work either due to the motor being frozen. Thanks again. Anyone else?

Mike
Old 08-27-2008, 03:56 PM
Jack Ennuste
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

May-be its tome to put some serious GT3 carbon seats in? Full manual, saving lots of kilos, but not $$$'s
Old 08-27-2008, 04:19 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Is the seat in the rearward most position (front to back)?
Old 08-27-2008, 05:20 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
Is the seat in the rearward most position (front to back)?
I got the seat out. I am not looking to remove the seat just fix the motor that makes it move front to back. To answer your question the seat is in the rearward most position. I can get it to move with the motor removed by turning the flexible shafts. I hope this helps.

Mike
Old 08-27-2008, 05:30 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The reason i ask, is that for some reason with the 993's, if you put the seat all the way back with the motor, it will get stuck. You can hear the motor engage when you use the switch, but it won't move. I have always been able to sit there and tap the switch over and over again, and eventually it will release and move forward. Sometimes you get it in 30 seconds, sometimes it takes 10 minutes. We see this a lot in the shop when guys put the seats back all the way. For some reason it is only in the 993's that I have noticed it happen.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:47 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
The reason i ask, is that for some reason with the 993's, if you put the seat all the way back with the motor, it will get stuck. You can hear the motor engage when you use the switch, but it won't move. I have always been able to sit there and tap the switch over and over again, and eventually it will release and move forward. Sometimes you get it in 30 seconds, sometimes it takes 10 minutes. We see this a lot in the shop when guys put the seats back all the way. For some reason it is only in the 993's that I have noticed it happen.
OK that makes sense, but I still think the motor is bad. Once I removed the motor I tried to spin the external gear. Sometimes it would move when I applied a lot of force and sometimes it will hang up and not move at all. So my thinking was that it is toast. I have heard before that rocking back and forh in the seat will cause the motor to free up as well. I tried that approach to with no joy. I called Robert at DC Automotive and he stated that they sell a lot of these motors. I have a friend that is an electrical wiz and he is going to open it up and check it out. He seems to think something is caught in the worm gear causing the motor to get stuck and move with difficulty. Oh well we will see what happens. Thank you for the advice, but I think with the gear so hard to turn I feel my problem is internal.

Mike
Old 08-27-2008, 06:31 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default stuck seat

...you sit there and tap the switch over and over..PorscheDoc
So I take it that it probably won't damage anything further by repeatedly applying the switch? The seat in my '96 993 is stuck and I haven't been able to skootch it forward.

I'm thinking of taking it to the Beartooth in a week or two, and it would be helpful if my wife could drive some legs.

Thanks for the tip. Is converting to a mechanical seat a big deal, assuming I can find a seat in Cashmere?

Rinty
Old 08-27-2008, 06:41 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rinty
So I take it that it probably won't damage anything further by repeatedly applying the switch? The seat in my '96 993 is stuck and I haven't been able to skootch it forward.

I'm thinking of taking it to the Beartooth in a week or two, and it would be helpful if my wife could drive some legs.

Thanks for the tip. Is converting to a mechanical seat a big deal, assuming I can find a seat in Cashmere?

Rinty
When you hit the switch a dozen times or so, it will shut off for a few seconds, then you can do it again. With there being only a switch and a motor in the system, it is the cheaper option that pulling the seat out and swapping a motor that might not be bad. I haven't had one that hasn't come loose yet and started to work again. My guess is when the seat goes back far enough, it must somehow get past the point of no return on the cog (i've never opened up the system to see exactly what is hanging up).
Old 08-28-2008, 12:45 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default jammed seat

Thanks a lot. This is really useful advice.

Rinty

Quick Reply: Need a seat motor fix or part - Help!! have part #