Sponsored by:

Need Boston area Rennlister help

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 11:31 AM
Luus
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Boston area Rennlister help

I'm thinking about adding a 997S to the stable and found one I am interested in on the lot at IRA porsche. Since this is a long distance purchase I was hoping to get some peace of mind by having a rennlister take a quick look at it for me. I've also posted this request on the 997 board.

Anyone available to take a look? Please PM me for details.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:48 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Luus--

I'm tied up during the week, and on Saturday, but I could probably check it out on Sunday. Hope that isn't too late.

FWIW, Alfie is a decent guy, but I've had bad experiences trying to buy from IRA. For e.g. I was given a price for a car which I was told was their "absolute, best bottom line price." When I got home I check the internet and they were offering the EXACT car I was looking at for thousands less on line. Another time, I was offered a new Cayenne at $500 off sticker as a "best price"-- which was a total joke. I ended up buying a custom ordered one from the NH dealer for $2,000 above invoice, which was like $7000 less than IRA's supposed "best price". I just don't like the haggling and gamesmanship at IRA-- don't want to waste my time. It's really a shame because I am probably one of the bigger enthusiasts in the area and they are less than 10 miles from my house. FWIW, however, I have heard others have been happy with their experience there.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:01 PM
Luus
Pro

Thanks Rome! Another rennlister PM'd and might be able to take a look today I will keep you up to date. Also thanks for sharing your experience. I am not very trusting of dealers in general and would prefer not to deal with them. They happen to have a car at IRA with the color combo I am looking for.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:05 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

IRA Porsche has been sold.....going to BMW Peabody Group.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:09 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 563 Likes on 380 Posts

Luus,

Let me know if you need a back up. I could swing by IRA one evening this week as needed.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:13 PM
Luus
Pro

Thanks!! Is Rennlist a great place or what
Old 08-26-2008, 01:45 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod
IRA Porsche has been sold.....going to BMW Peabody Group.
I still think of 'Racetrack Rick Scourtas' everytime I drive by the place when I'm home to visit.

IIRC, IRA sold it to the 5 Star Group, and they kept the name as part of the deal....now 5 Star has sold it to BMW Peabody Group?
Old 08-26-2008, 02:02 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
I still think of 'Racetrack Rick Scourtas' everytime I drive by the place when I'm home to visit.

IIRC, IRA sold it to the 5 Star Group, and they kept the name as part of the deal....now 5 Star has sold it to BMW Peabody Group?
Originally it was owned by Ira Rosenberg, who used to me a close neighbor of mine. They kept the name "IRA." I didn't know it was sold to the Peabody Group. They own Porsche Nashua, so maybe things will ger better there.

BTW, Ira's non-compete expired about 2 years ago and he is back in business with a vengence-- his outfit is called Prime Motor group. We bought my wife's car from his Maine Benz dealership. they actually pick the car up at our house via flatbed for service and oil changes and leave a loan, and then return it via flat bed. Is that service, or what?

BTW-- Where did Alfie land?
Old 08-26-2008, 02:09 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ira Porsche/Audi would drive down to the Cape to pick up my A3 for service and they would flatbed my 911 up for oil changes, etc. I thought the service was awesome and I would get cool cars for loaners as well.

They sold rather than build a new showroom....I think it is being built by Peabody down the street from the current Ira.

Alfie will probably post to this thread soon...
Old 08-26-2008, 03:00 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

IRA build a new showroom for Audi on 114, but Porsche stayed in place. Not sure if this sale means they will be moving, but BMW Peabody has a huge new showroom going up at the old location, right next to the Lambo dealership they put up a couple years ago.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:04 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Lambo dealership being sold.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:10 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod
Lambo dealership being sold.
Not surprising. Place was always empty and 3/4 of the cars were there on consignment.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:34 PM
rockwoodfarm
Instructor

Ira and his son David sold to Group 1 a mega dealer publicly traded company. They took better care of customers when it was still a family owned business. The Group 1 guys have institutionalized a nice business but they have deep inventory. BMW of Peabody is owned by Bud Lyon and Warren Waugh they also own Porsche Audi of Nashua.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:37 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rockwoodfarm
Ira and his son David sold to Group 1 a mega dealer publicly traded company. They took better care of customers when it was still a family owned business. The Group 1 guys have institutionalized a nice business but they have deep inventory. BMW of Peabody is owned by Bud Lyon and Warren Waugh they also own Porsche Audi of Nashua.
Are you friendly with the Rosenbergs?
Old 08-26-2008, 11:47 PM
rockwoodfarm
Instructor

I've known David for a long time.

Quick Reply: Need Boston area Rennlister help