Sponsored by:

Which black?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 10:35 PM
mcpiaseczny
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which black?

Due to a freak snow storm and some errant gravel spray I have the rare opportunity to repaint my entire car on my insurance company's dime. The car is currently plain 'ole black. I'm thinking "while I'm in there" I could go for a metallic and give the car that extra bit of bling without changing the basic color.

But which black? I've been trying to compare pictures but the subtleties don't show up very well. Does anyone remember the name of the color on Louis J.'s (ex-)car?

And of course, "while in there", I'll be shaving the headlight washers, filling the plate holes, putting in the turbo front bumper cover, deleting the basket handle, installing the high 3rd light and adding the exhaust tip heat diffusers. Let me know if I've missed anything

So exciting!
Old 08-25-2008, 11:01 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Michal,

Does 'Metallic Black' ring a bell?

CP
Old 08-25-2008, 11:14 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Sounds like a great time to make her a beauty. This was the only thing that held this car back was the paint. Cannot wait to see her with new paint!!
Old 08-26-2008, 03:32 AM
mcpiaseczny
Racer

Pong - it could be... Louis' car had that crazy morph-in-the-sun look that your car has, only in charcoal instead of bronze. Both are beautiful but I don't want to start putting Ruf paint on a non-Ruf car

Chris - does that mean you'll visit when she's done?
Old 08-26-2008, 09:37 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There may be a couple of Metallic Blacks in the 993 era... not totally sure.

One, I know, is L744. Not sure if LouisJ's car was this color but I think Jeff's (InTheAir) gorgeous cab was this color. If you search I think there will be lots of pics of that car here though I think you'd want to see the color in person.
Beautiful color. Wish my black car was met black!
Old 08-26-2008, 09:53 AM
Smiles
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could talk to the shop that will paint it and have them paint some samples so you can see how it looks in different lighting.

If it were me, I would go for a really fine silver flake base and medium silver color, topped with a black tinted clear, and finished with a regular clear over that. Something that would really show some highlights around the great curves of the 993, but would still look black.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:36 AM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 390 Posts

Plain old black - timeless classic.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:48 AM
trickydisco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't Basalt Black the metallic paint? ... or am i thinking of another car brand...
Old 08-26-2008, 11:23 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by mcpiaseczny
Pong - it could be... Louis' car had that crazy morph-in-the-sun look that your car has, only in charcoal instead of bronze. Both are beautiful but I don't want to start putting Ruf paint on a non-Ruf car

Chris - does that mean you'll visit when she's done?
My Metallic Black is a Porsche color, not a special Ruf paint. It is black with fine bronze pigments sprinkled in. In bright sun light it actually looks deep deep charcoal gray.

CP
Old 08-26-2008, 02:19 PM
mcpiaseczny
Racer

Originally Posted by CP
My Metallic Black is a Porsche color, not a special Ruf paint. It is black with fine bronze pigments sprinkled in. In bright sun light it actually looks deep deep charcoal gray.

CP
Yeah, I remember that... I think I saw Louis' car in the shade so the bronze pigment didn't pop as much as yours.

So according to 993registry.org the black option codes were
L738 Black Metallic
L741 Black
L747 Black

there was also
L23F Slate Metallic

I'm not sure what the difference between L741 and L747 is but I'll assume very little, and I'm pretty sure Slate is too light to be confused with black. So that just leaves L738. I'll try to find a sample.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:06 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

The current Porsche metallic black is Basalt Black.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:38 PM
CADguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by mcpiaseczny
Due to a freak snow storm and some errant gravel spray I have the rare opportunity to repaint my entire car on my insurance company's dime. The car is currently plain 'ole black. I'm thinking "while I'm in there" I could go for a metallic and give the car that extra bit of bling without changing the basic color.

But which black? I've been trying to compare pictures but the subtleties don't show up very well. Does anyone remember the name of the color on Louis J.'s (ex-)car?

And of course, "while in there", I'll be shaving the headlight washers, filling the plate holes, putting in the turbo front bumper cover, deleting the basket handle, installing the high 3rd light and adding the exhaust tip heat diffusers. Let me know if I've missed anything

So exciting!

Hi Michal,

I have this list of 1997 993 exterior colors. I can't remember where I got it, so can't say if it's 100% accurate. Sounds like "Black Pearl Metalic" might be what you're after:

1997 993 Exterior Colors

Glacier White
Arctic Silver Metallic
Pastel Yellow
Ocean Blue Metallic
Zenith Blue Metallic
Black Pearl Metallic
Cobalt Blue Metallic
Violet Blue Metallic
Dark Blue
Slate Gray Metallic
Forest Green Metallic
Black
Wimbledon Green Metallic
Blue Turquoise
Arena Red Metallic
Guards Red
Polar Silver Metallic
Oak Green Metallic
Speed Yellow

Gary
Old 08-26-2008, 06:44 PM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't go the metalic route. Could be just me, but I think the metalics are harder to keep looking nice - especially black. You are just asking for swirl marks. I would stick with just a really nice basic black. My $.02
Old 08-26-2008, 08:14 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sdcabrio
I wouldn't go the metalic route. Could be just me, but I think the metalics are harder to keep looking nice - especially black. You are just asking for swirl marks. I would stick with just a really nice basic black. My $.02
Any black (or really dark color for that matter, like Mid Blue Met)) is subject to more visible swirls, scratches, etc.
I am at constant war with these offenders...

Anyhow, L744 Schwarz Met (Metallic Black) is another possibility along with those already listed.
Some pics and discussion in this thread on page 2 and others... https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=35947
Good luck!
Old 08-26-2008, 09:02 PM
mcpiaseczny
Racer

Originally Posted by MarkD
Any black (or really dark color for that matter, like Mid Blue Met)) is subject to more visible swirls, scratches, etc.
I am at constant war with these offenders...

Anyhow, L744 Schwarz Met (Metallic Black) is another possibility along with those already listed.
Some pics and discussion in this thread on page 2 and others... https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=35947
Good luck!
Yes, that's it! Definitely metallic black:

That thread was exactly what I needed.

Quick Reply: Which black?