Radiator -> E Tank connection hose
Water Pump
Thermostat
Upper hose
Lower Hose
2 rear hoses
alternator hose (99 and up)
Fan Clutch

And apparently you're looking at around $600-700 in parts if you go OEM from online vendors. I know that a lot of people use bavauto.com and azautohaus.com for their parts. I'd guess it's about a 5-6 hour job at a shop.
Thanks for the info. The cost is really not bad for a DIYer like me. I was concerned that it would be $$$$ in parts.

Originally Posted by Louis J.
Tom, I honestly encourage you to look at Audi again before you make a final decision. I recently bought an 06 A4 S-line and I'm extremely pleased with the car. It's my third Audi, the other two being a 95.5 S6 and a 97 S6 so I understand your concerns about reliability. Audi did have problems a few years ago but they've cleaned up their act and seem to have much better reliability than MB and BMW from my research. Here's what I like about my car:

- Great looks and more exclusivity (everybody and their brother has MB or BMW)
- 25/35MPG (2.0T)
- The best interior (no stupid gadgetry, just a nice, simple quality-built cabin)
- Technology: FSI and Quattro
- A $600 chip puts my car at 250HP/300TQ...plenty of fun for a 25/35MPG car

I've autocrossed my car several times and my times are within the range of my well-modified C4S. Even though the A4 has suspension work and it's chipped, it's still amazing considering the A4 is a 3,600lb, 4cyl sedan. Needless to say, when my fiancé's lease on her Volvo wagon is up in January, she's getting an A4 Avant.
The newer Audis are really nice, but out of the range of my budget right now. When my economic situation improves, I will definitely take a second look. I have to say that I am not a real fan of the Audi interiors, however. I never have been.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:34 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TomF
The newer Audis are really nice, but out of the range of my budget right now. When my economic situation improves, I will definitely take a second look. I have to say that I am not a real fan of the Audi interiors, however. I never have been.
I am a fan of Audi interiors. I think they're pretty bitchin. What I'm not a fan of is their timing belt service intervals (120K miles). The waterpump in my wifes 01 A4 went, taking out the belt, thus letting the valves to get up close and personal with the cylinders. We had to do a top end at 55K miles (just 5K out of warranty). The best Audi would do is give us a 20% break on the labor at one of their dealerships. That was about 3 years ago. But just the other day we got a letter from audi saying that they would re-imburse us for our out of pocket expenses due to a class action lawsuit against them. We sent them copies of all of our receipts and everything. I'll let you know if they actually come through!!!
Old 09-13-2008, 09:16 PM
Hound Dog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Happy Ending

After looking around, I bought an '06 535 Wagon today at a local dealer. I've been watching local lots/ads on autotrader, etc. and this one came in off lease, so I jumped on it. The wife loves it and I saved ~$30,000 off the price of a new one. If this one does as well as our '95, I will be very pleased. Thanks for all of the information from everyone - it really helped me have confidence in the decision.

Now I need to sell the 95 if anyone is interested.

Hound Dog
Old 09-14-2008, 12:57 AM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Cool!!! Congrats man! Drive it in good health.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:30 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 359 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Hound Dog
I bought an '06 535 Wagon today
530I perhap. I don't think they had a 535 in '06.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:32 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

After looking around, I bought an '06 535 Wagon today at a local dealer. I've been watching local lots/ads on autotrader, etc. and this one came in off lease, so I jumped on it. The wife loves it and I saved ~$30,000 off the price of a new one. If this one does as well as our '95, I will be very pleased. Thanks for all of the information from everyone - it really helped me have confidence in the decision.

Now I need to sell the 95 if anyone is interested.

Hound Dog
Check this very thread, I think there was someone that mentioned they wanted your current car if you found a replacement.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:07 AM
Jack Ennuste
Burning Brakes

Still, almost nothing can beat BMW in ride quality. I believe, that 5-series wagon is great companion to Porsche. Have You thought about diesel? You will surprise, driving today's BMW diesels and MPG is unbelievable. I had just the same 530 estate, now 745.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:16 PM
Hound Dog
Instructor

My post was in error - as noted above. It's a 2006 530xi. Sorry - I tend to get bleary eyed any time I'm writing a 5 digit check.

It's great, but I could live without iDrive and nearly all of the bling stuff (although the sunroof is a definite improvement over the 95). I can't even figure out how to set the radio stations on the iDrive - I suppose I'll have to read the manual at some point.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:01 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 359 Likes on 213 Posts

but I could live without iDrive
Once you get the hang of the iDrive you will like it. It is one of the things I really enjoy about my 530I. Give it some time.

Take a look at the E60 Forum at http://forums.e60.net/index.php? There is a lot of great info there on your car.

On highway trips I get between 29 and 32 MPG in the 530. The four wheel drive you have may cut into that a little.

And, you are under warranty for everything; from brakes and oil changes to windshield wipers.

Enjoy and good luck.

Quick Reply: OT: Looking to Replace BMW 525 Wagon