Sunroof Won't Close

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 05:36 PM
freshy 993
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof Won't Close

Hi Everyone,

I'm having an issue with the sunroof on my 1996 993. It opens fine, and closes up to the point where the rear of the sunroof needs to raise to become level with the rest of the roof, but at that point it stalls out. I have to physically push up on the rear of the sunroof while holding the close button to get it to seat to the correct spot.

Has anyone else had an issue like this? I am not sure if the motor can become weak but that is almost what it seems like. It doesn't make any weird noises, so I don't think it has anything to do with the gearing.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Doug
Old 08-18-2008, 08:48 PM
68CGPlt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doug,

Check to see if there are any foreign objects in or in the vicinity of the track. Something like this happened to me some time ago, after checking for obstructions a few times I finally found a small piece of tree that caused the obstruction near the end of the track. Hopefully it's something this simple.
Good luck.

Matt
Old 08-24-2008, 05:28 AM
kcphuah
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 31 Posts

Mines is running the same issue, tech say it needs to be lubricated. I have not bring the car there yet but anxious to know if it cures the problem after lubrication.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:47 AM
Jack Ennuste
Burning Brakes

I had the same problem. Lubrication made it work, still stucking again now.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:49 AM
kcphuah
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jack Ennuste
I had the same problem. Lubrication made it work, still stucking again now.
Which part do you lubricate? And what do you use? I am having the same problem, tried wd40 but it still would not work.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:51 PM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

Un zipper the zipper in the back of the roof and make sure the bolts are tight that hold the motor to the drive assy. That was my problem..Quick 5 min. fix...
Old 09-09-2008, 07:34 PM
freshy 993
6th Gear

Does anyone know of a good DIY reference procedure for performing a sunroof cleaning & lubrication?
Old 09-09-2008, 07:53 PM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Pelican Parts has information and pictures of a sunroof cable and felt seal replacement. I believe it is in the 911 Technical threads. I don't believe it has any mention on lubricating the sunroof.

My sunroof did exactly as yours did several months ago. I just used some gentle persuasion to get the rear of the sunroof into its final positon and it has been fine since then.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:06 PM
kcphuah
Rennlist Member

This is what i did and hope it will work for you as well. I basically spray wd40 into the drain holes from the engine lid and stick a 12foot long electrical wire cable and clean up the rubber tracts, now my sunroof will not leak and it shuts properly.

Originally Posted by freshy 993
Does anyone know of a good DIY reference procedure for performing a sunroof cleaning & lubrication?
Old 05-01-2014, 11:55 PM
TouringTeg
Burning Brakes

Bringing this one back up from the dead as I had the same issue on my 993. The sunroof would open fine but made an awful sound when closing and would not fully close towards the rear/drivers side of the car.

After much searching I read that the screws holding the motor will back out over time. I went ahead and unzipped the headliner and removed the 6 plastic torx screws. They can be a pain and some were just pried out by hand. Upon removing the liner one of the two screws was sitting on the line and had fallen out completely. The other screw was the loose and the motor was out of alignment.

Tightened both up with some Loctite and it is now good as new! Great timing with summer coming.

Pic courtesy of 911Jetta
t

Quick Reply: Sunroof Won't Close