Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID Xenon headlight died, then the other...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 05:03 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default HID Xenon headlight died, then the other...

I've got an aftermarket HID Xenon headlight system (VTX Performance ballast, quite possibly sourced from Vertex by the PO). This is the first time I've had to trouble shoot one of these, so bear with me...

Do the ballasts die when the bulbs go out???

So my right low beam went out (still had left side working...for a bit...) I pulled it out and found that the bulb was cracked at the base...no biggie, off I go looking for a replacement....not just a standard bub from Kragen....dang. I was double checking to see if the ballast had died as well and put the bulb back in, headlight back in, and then found out that the left low beam now doesn't work now either, where it had been before.

Plugging the 12V connector into the ballast, I can get the right (cracked bulb) to flash like it wants to start, then nothing... This means I'm getting power to the ballast and it seems like it wants to work... I don't get that same flash on the left (2nd to die) side.

I was thinking blown fuse, but the right side still can flash like it wants to start, so there's power applied....

Did I just have 2 bulbs die nearly at the same time? Since the left doesn't do the flash when I plug the cable into the ballast, is that ballast now dead?

i was going to buy 2 new bubs, but I want to be sure that will fix the issue. The 2nd bulb dying right after the first is a little suspicious to me...

Thanks in advance for your shared wisdom...
Keith
Old 08-07-2008, 09:26 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I would just buy a new kit. $100-$140. Easy to install with plenty of good instructions on this site. At that price, these things are disposable.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:09 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

here is how I would diagnose, do you get 12V to the input of to the ballast? you can test this most easily with a voltmeter, or plug in an H1 bulb. if you get 12+ Volts at the ballast, then swap the bulbs to see if one of them lights, it is unlikely (although possible) that both bulbs went bad at the same time. if one of the bulbs lights, then the other is bad, if neither lights, swap the ballasts and see if the other ballast will light one (or both bulbs) most likely ONE component has gone bad, by mixing and matching you should be able to determine which component is bad.
you can get replacement ballasts and bulbs on line. If you don't even get 12v to the input, it is either wiring or fuse.

Although OTOH, HID kits have gotten so cheap, (I got a kit for $50 a few months ago) you can just replace the whole kit) as suggested by pjconner.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:04 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Had the same thing happen- or at least one bulb/ballast die (VTX from Vertex).
I mounted the ballast inside the headlight assembly but will move it outboard- I think its overheating.

I've had no problem with my other cars when using similar kits (even cheaper fleaBay versions) as long as the ballast was trunk mounted so I will go back to this method of mounting.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:05 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by pjconner
I would just buy a new kit. $100-$140. Easy to install with plenty of good instructions on this site. At that price, these things are disposable.
+1 Always a spare of each item on hand. When one of mine went out, I thought it was the bulb, but it was the ballast.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:55 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Originally Posted by pjconner
I hate the "replace it all" fix-it method (reminds me of Microsoft...reboot, or reload the OS to fix everything), but considering the time involved to trouble shoot... Where are you finding these at $100 (or $50 as below)? Is that FleaBay?

Originally Posted by Kika
here is how I would diagnose, do you get 12V to the input of to the ballast? you can test this most easily with a voltmeter, or plug in an H1 bulb. if you get 12+ Volts at the ballast, then swap the bulbs to see if one of them lights, it is unlikely (although possible) that both bulbs went bad at the same time. if one of the bulbs lights, then the other is bad, if neither lights, swap the ballasts and see if the other ballast will light one (or both bulbs) most likely ONE component has gone bad, by mixing and matching you should be able to determine which component is bad.
you can get replacement ballasts and bulbs on line. If you don't even get 12v to the input, it is either wiring or fuse.

Although OTOH, HID kits have gotten so cheap, (I got a kit for $50 a few months ago) you can just replace the whole kit) as suggested by pjconner.
I've got 12V, since the the high beams still work and that's where the 12V is tapped (w/in the headlight assembly), as well the one side tries to fire up on initial plug in of the 12V connector to the ballast. That rules out a fuse causing the death of the 2nd headlight. (This is the bugger of the whole thing...1 light I can understand, but the 2nd going just along with it.....arrrggggghhh)

Unfortunately I don't have a multimeter that goes above 5kV, so I couldn't really trouble shoot the HV stuff. (yea, yea, I know...not a good place to be messing around. Definitely not recommended for anyone, but I'm a "trained professional" here....)

Originally Posted by Ritter
Had the same thing happen- or at least one bulb/ballast die (VTX from Vertex).
I mounted the ballast inside the headlight assembly but will move it outboard- I think its overheating.

I've had no problem with my other cars when using similar kits (even cheaper fleaBay versions) as long as the ballast was trunk mounted so I will go back to this method of mounting.
Mine was trunk mounted, so I wouldn't be sure that's the solution to all the HID woes, I'm sorry to say. Might help prolong life a bit....

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
+1 Always a spare of each item on hand. When one of mine went out, I thought it was the bulb, but it was the ballast.
Very good point on the spares. At the vertex ~270 price, its hard to justify, but at the FleaBay $50-150 price point...

So, are all these kits basically standardized? Same connectors, similar ballasts and swappable parts?

As always, RL is very helpful! Thanks guys!
Keith
Old 08-07-2008, 02:11 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

I wouldn't assume that since the High Beams work, that the low beams are getting 12V also, they are on separate wires, and switched differently, I don't quite understand how your ballast is tapped off the High beam line, as that would mean you have to have the high beams on for your HIDs to be on, doesn't make sense to me. Unless you are using the 12v (from the High Beam) and a relay switched from the low beam? in which case, the relay might be bad, or it is not getting switched by the low beam.

I got both my HID kits (H1 for 993 at $120 or so, last year, and 9006 kit for our Sienna a month of so ago from EBay) Yes, all the kits use standard connectors, make sure you get the right bulb.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:50 PM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You sound like your are technically far superior to me in testing output, etc.. My advice is just search ebay for a set in the color you want (K scale) with the SLIM ballasts. I (knock on wood) have had mine for quite awhile with no issues. Slim ballast, simple plug-n-play, stuffed everything into the headlight bucket. I think I paid $98 shipped. Good luck.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:03 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Hey, what number set am I looking for??? I see sets labeled: H1, 9006, D2S....
Old 08-07-2008, 10:40 PM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Im pretty sure it's H1. I would google it.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:13 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

H1 for 993 beams, just replace the low beam, after that you won't need the high beams.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:49 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 549 Posts

Note the "cooling fins". I did a trunk mount. H1 $189.99
Old 08-08-2008, 12:10 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

over on the FOR SALE forum: https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale-ads-member-to-member-fs-wtb-free/447112-fs-hid-lighting-kit.html

no association, just posting FYI
Old 08-12-2008, 08:05 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Thanks guys! As always, RL provides the answers to my questions!

I ordered a set Friday and its sitting here in my office already, off of FleaBay. LA to SD isn't far, so it was really quick....about $150 shipped. Bummer I didn't see Kika's message in time, since it is the same kit. I might buy that one anyways just to have a spare setup.

Thanks again!
Keith
Old 08-16-2008, 08:26 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Update for future searchers since I had a unique ending to my non-functioning HID headlight issue...

The original headlight that went out was only a HID/Xenon bulb replacement (i'd ordered a new full kit, so now I've got spares...).
Right side - check.

Left side (the 2nd to go out)...
replace bulb, re-mount headlight, no light
change to new ballast, re-mount headlight, no light
replace 12V wiring from light power back to ballast, re-mount headlight, no light
(sensing a pattern?)
Ohm out all connections....all OK.
Check various voltages with light mounted and lights on/off....all OK.
Check voltages at headlight assembly connector inside fender...all OK.
Remount headlight assembly....no light

Out of frustration (and a little bit of experience with electronics, but more frustration by this point) I performed "percussive maintenance" on the light. For those of you not in the electronics or computer industry (where this is a standard troubleshooting method...seriously) this is much like a Fonzie move from "Happy Days". Basically I hit the installed headlight face with my palm releasing a few frustrations.....let there be light. WTF?

Basically, the connector from the removable headlight assembly to the car was not getting fully contacted, so while everything appeared to have correct voltages, they were just not getting fully connected. All it took was properly "seating" the connector....with a fist...

Now of course I'm curious and have new HID parts in this one side and none in the other....
Replace all original parts...no light.
Repeat Fonzy treatment....light.
Left side - check!

Hope this helps someone in the future!

Quick Reply: HID Xenon headlight died, then the other...