Sponsored by: DashLynx

A/C leak??

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 06:23 PM
mcfeeley1071
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A/C leak??

Okay I have owned my new 993 for only a couple of weeks and the A/C has began to only blow hot air. I have had the A/C checked out and they found a small leak on an improperly installed hose. They recharged and everything seemed to be fine. Not but 2 weeks we by and Mother Nature decided Arkansas needed some 110 degree heat with 75% humidity. Needless to say when the A/C started to blow non-cool air it was noticeable. I took it back it to have it checked and the A/C guys stated that it had lost about a 1/2 lb of coolant and that they couldn't find the leak even with the dye they used. He stated that there is probably a leak in the high pressure line from the front to the front of the engine.

My question is can anybody point me in the direction of a good post that might discuss this? Or, has dealt with this themselves?
Old 08-05-2008, 06:34 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

I have a slow leak and just add a couple of pounds of freon each Spring. On very hot days it won't make a difference so I put down my Cab. top and open the windows! Good Luck!
Old 08-05-2008, 09:02 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A good shop should be able to track down a leak... if it is too slight to find with a dye, then a sniffer.
Did they check for dye at the condensation drain off of the evaporator?

I hope it is not your evaporator... that would be painful.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:31 PM
AX993
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

If there is UV dye already in your A/C system, go down to your local parts store (Advance, Autozone, whatever) and get a UV pen-light and yellow glasses set (cheap one, less than $20?) and start looking, using the UV light, anywhere the A/C lines make a connection (Compressor, Condensor, Dryer, anywhere there is an O-ring that might be bad) . If no luck at those places, then look at the evaporator drain hole under the car (near the fuel pump panel IIRC). If not there, pull the panel over your blower box (the plastic one between the gas tank and the windshield) and shine the UV light around inside near the area of the expansion valve. One last thing to check are the service ports on the compressor: I had some that leaked.
HTH
Glenn

Last edited by AX993; 08-07-2008 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:45 PM
mcfeeley1071
Instructor

All good ideas thanks I will be working on this asap and let everyone know.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:16 AM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 60 Posts

70% of the time it's waaaay under the dash and fuel tank where the evo is.. sometimes it's cheaper to keep adding some recharge versus the labor of removing the dash, tank and all the rest of the stuff there..

C.

Quick Reply: A/C leak??