Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front trunk water leak question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 03:03 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Front trunk water leak question...

I keep my car in a garage, and thus it rarely ends up getting rained on. But the other night, while I was out for dinner, there was a brief torrential downpour, and afterward, while getting something out of the trunk, I noticed that there was a small puddle of water sitting in the little cubby that sits to the left of the gas tank (it's on the right of the tank if you're standing in front of the car looking at it). Below is a picture of this "cubby," although note that this is **NOT** my car! It's a picture I found on the forum of someone else's 993, which obviously had been leaking for a long time...

Yesterday, after washing my car, I inspected this area again, and sure enough that cubby was wet again. I traced the path of the water up to a place where a plastic housing bolts to the firewall of the trunk -- the plastic housing appears to be connected to the fresh air vent that sits along the center of the cowl/top of the hood.

The trunk seal is not the source of this water leak, in other words -- the vent is. On my old 911, that vent had a drain tube so that the water that entered was deposited underneath the car. I'm sure the 993 has a similar design. Does anyone know what's involved in getting in there to find out what's causing this leak? Right now it looks like I'd have to tear out most of the HVAC system.
Attached Images  
Old 02-13-2024, 02:23 PM
XJ9000
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issue

Did you solve this mystery? I’m having the exact same issue and would love to know where to start.
Old 02-13-2024, 09:53 PM
IainM
Drifting

Received 305 Likes on 235 Posts

There’s several drain pipes venting under the car including the battery vent pipe so if you jack up the front and get under there you should be able to find them. I think I used a guitar string to rotoroot up there.
Old 02-13-2024, 10:00 PM
XJ9000
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by IainM
There’s several drain pipes venting under the car including the battery vent pipe so if you jack up the front and get under there you should be able to find them. I think I used a guitar string to rotoroot up there.
That is helpful for getting the water out, but how is it getting in? It’s collecting in that cubby area the OP referenced. It’s to the right of the fuel tank when you have the hood open and are looking at the car from the front. No drain plugs there.
Old 02-13-2024, 10:59 PM
IainM
Drifting

Received 305 Likes on 235 Posts

It’s coming in through the cabin air intake in front of the windshield. It’s supposed to just vent right out the drain.
the other important one is the sunroof. It’s worth pouring a cup of water in the roof slide area to confirm it come out under the back.
with 20 years or grime they get clogged. Not something the concours judges check. Maybe they should! Or maybe it just proves it’s a driver

edit, there maybe a pint or so still in the HVAC. What you’re seeing is the runoff.
I learned this driving in flip flops. On hard rights, water would pour all over my feet.

Last edited by IainM; 02-13-2024 at 11:02 PM.
Old 02-14-2024, 12:06 AM
XJ9000
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by IainM
It’s coming in through the cabin air intake in front of the windshield. It’s supposed to just vent right out the drain.
the other important one is the sunroof. It’s worth pouring a cup of water in the roof slide area to confirm it come out under the back.
with 20 years or grime they get clogged. Not something the concours judges check. Maybe they should! Or maybe it just proves it’s a driver

edit, there maybe a pint or so still in the HVAC. What you’re seeing is the runoff.
I learned this driving in flip flops. On hard rights, water would pour all over my feet.
Thanks for clarifying. I’ll check it out and hope that does the trick. 🤞🏻

Quick Reply: Front trunk water leak question...