Sponsored by:

Cabriolet top mechanism

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 11:28 AM
Topcot
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cabriolet top mechanism

The convertible top motor on my '95 993 quit and in the process, the driver's side arm mechanism snapped so that even using the manual method, I could only put the top down, not up. My question is whether anyone has ever replaced this arm mechanism and does it involve taking the top liner off or can you do this without damaging the liner. Any suggestions or instructions on doing this or should this be a repair shop or dealer project. The motor that quit was the recall replacement motor installed a year ago (I think this was a mistake, but that is another story).
thanks,
Pete
Old 07-14-2008, 12:20 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Topcot
The convertible top motor on my '95 993 quit and in the process, the driver's side arm mechanism snapped so that even using the manual method, I could only put the top down, not up. My question is whether anyone has ever replaced this arm mechanism and does it involve taking the top liner off or can you do this without damaging the liner. Any suggestions or instructions on doing this or should this be a repair shop or dealer project. The motor that quit was the recall replacement motor installed a year ago (I think this was a mistake, but that is another story).
thanks,
Pete
Pete,
First: sorry... this is an expensive problem to fix.

You can do this without replacing the top... but:
- you will find the top bow parts are pricey. If you can find them used, the dismantlers want to sell the entire assembly because your part that broke is where the demand is. New bow from Sunset is about $1350. It will probably take weeks to get the part. If you want used, get on the phone... but these things are popular this time of year.

- You may have another (less expensive) bent part in there, depends on how it broke. Need to get it apart to see.

- You can have your bow welded... but find a good welder. FisterD did one for a car I worked on recently and if it breaks again, it won't break at the weld, that I know.

- Taking it all apart is not too bad. I think there is a DIY on the 964 forum... the top is not exactly the same but similar enough. Search there.

- Unless you have a dealer that knows the older cars, don't go there.

- Putting the canvas back on is the part you might not want to DIY. Auto upholstery shops that do tops on these cars would be a good idea. It is a cosmetic thing and needs to be right or it will be seen.

- If your top is in need of replacement it would be a good time to go for it.

here is the parts diagram: http://dcauto.gotdns.com/illustration/index/152778584

Good luck!
Also, you might want to convert to manual operation after it is all done. It's very simple and I think the few steps it takes are in the owners manual. Search here for more on this topic.

Quick Reply: Cabriolet top mechanism