Sponsored by:

Horrible "clunk"

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 12:55 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Horrible "clunk"

Just latley when I open my drivers door there is a nasty clunk when you close the door. I had a feel in there and found the door stop mech (the thing that has the pin through it that attached to the car) is falling apart.
So I ordered a new part and have just put it in, but the same thing happens.
I have tried everything but really it's only a case of unbolt and bolt the new one in?
The worry is that when it goe's clunk, the bracket attached to the body moves, and it's not supposed too.
I can't see any way of getting inside the inner gaurd to see whats happening either. Is this bolted inside there or welded?
Had anyone got any ideas PLEASE?
Thanks
Old 07-12-2008, 01:20 AM
truegrit
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Likely a broken door stop. very common problem. See the following link: http://www.pca.org/tech/tech_qa_question.asp?id={98370915-D59E-4230-B8D2-E5626DC197CA}
Old 07-12-2008, 01:20 AM
MDamen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same thing happening to my car. The bracket on the door jamb is starting to come loose. When the door strap goes into the detent it causes the bracket on the door jamb to click or clunk. There is no way to get to the back of the door jamb without removing the fender and cutting a hole in the back side (toward front of car) of the door jamb. Another fix is to have the bracket TIG welded to the door jamb from the front. A skilled welder will leave only a small bead and then you can smooth it up and paint to match. It won't look stock, but nobody will notice unless they know to look for it.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:33 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MDamen
I have the same thing happening to my car. The bracket on the door jamb is starting to come loose. When the door strap goes into the detent it causes the bracket on the door jamb to click or clunk. There is no way to get to the back of the door jamb without removing the fender and cutting a hole in the back side (toward front of car) of the door jamb. Another fix is to have the bracket TIG welded to the door jamb from the front. A skilled welder will leave only a small bead and then you can smooth it up and paint to match. It won't look stock, but nobody will notice unless they know to look for it.
Thanks for that, but what a pain in the ar*e to fix.
Buggar!
So just let me make sure I have this right....
I have to get a "really good" guy to weld the bracket into place that comes through the gaurd.?
I love my car dearly, but thats a **** of a design!

Last edited by 993MAN; 07-12-2008 at 01:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Horrible "clunk"