Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 11:33 PM
Toddimus
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ready to buy a scissor lift...

Hi folks,

I'll start with a story...

A couple of weeks ago my wife and I were working on her Audi S6, performing a "10k mile service". We were going to actually go down the factory maintenance checklist, which included having a peek at the undercarriage/exhaust/brakes/CV/etc...

This was the first time WE had worked on "her" car, so she was actually out there with the blue monkey suit on right next to me on her back in the grease and grime. When it came time to jack the car up, we found that there weren't any suitable jack points for both a floor jack alongside a jackstand. I said that we could just use two floor jacks to lift up one end at a time and not actually get under the car to do the inspection. She then turns to me and says, "WE NEED TO GET A LIFT!" THAT'S MY GIRL!!

So it is now time for me to start looking for a suitable lift...

I've searched high and low in Rennlist and around the net, and have narrowed it down to a couple of options:
  1. BendPak MD6-XPD This appears to be American made, gets high marks from just about everybody, and is the model that everybody seems to copy.
  2. Norco 86002 This appears to be very similar to the BendPak, with one big exception: by design, it doesn't have a cross-member between the trailing edge of the raised platform. My theory on this is that if I wanted to drop the powertrain on the 993, there wouldn't be a piece of the lift in the way. One downside of this model is that the steel parts seem to be made in China, while the hydraulics are American made.

A forum post that illustrates the issue with this cross-member (and a solution to it by cutting the offending cross-member off) is found here:

vuugti's modification using a sawzall to remove the offending part of the lift

So I'll post the question to the forum, does anybody have experience with the Norco lift, and if so, what is the build quality? What do you like or not like about it? I'd rather not buy the BendPak and have to cut it when I want to drop the powertrain.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:07 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been using the sissor lift from Greg Smith equipmet, I think they are all similiar in design. Been very happy with it, done several engine drop clutch replacement with it. Couldn't think any other method of dropping the engine without it.

I had to make the modification by cutting the brace, originally I thought about bolting the brace back on but after noticing no twisting or any play with the lift I decided just leave it off.

Even the Ferrari goes on it!

Quick Reply: Ready to buy a scissor lift...