Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Car's Interior Important to You?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 02:54 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,105 Likes on 1,814 Posts

Yes interior is very important to me. It should communicate the character of the car and in doing so, amplify the experience of driving it.

My daily driver is an A4 s-line titanium package. It's a high quality comfortable, rich yet simple and sporty interior. The s-line titanium package interior details include piano black trim, black headliner, alu door sills with Audi sport logo, red stitching on the steering wheel and shift **** etc. These details make a big difference in the overall feel of the car compared to a standard A4.

Just the same, I often think about building a 993 track car and the perfect interior would be as described by mooty with a bright exterior color like SY, Maritime, GP white or red. Conversely, the full leather interior on my C4S suits my car well since it's metallic black and more on the gentlemanly side of the 993 scale compared to my 993 dream track car. Options like HiFi, OBC, heated seats etc. add to the experiece whereas they would be completely out of place on a 993 track car.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:34 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the interior is very important...to me it needs to be esthetically appealing, comfortable and functional - that doesn't mean that it has to be all leather and full of fancy gee-whiz gadgets, but the fit and feel of the interior contributes as much to the overall driving experience as does the engine and suspension performance. One of my favorite interiors is still the Exige...as soon as you sit in you know at once that it's a drivers car (although carpet and leather are options and an alpine stereo is standard )
Old 07-10-2008, 08:53 AM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Regardless of the interior spec, the condition is important to me. I don't like things that are frayed, torn, faded, missing, or inoperable...like what's in my 11 year old truck right now. Brings the entire vehicle down in my eyes.

My 993's interior is pristine in comparison, and I like that very much.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:59 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Here is the type of interior I prefer working on.
Attached Images  
Old 07-10-2008, 11:16 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Here is the type of interior I prefer working on.
I'm just not into that fake carbon-fiber look, though.

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 07-10-2008 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:54 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,421 Likes on 821 Posts

I absolutely do.

I spend 95% of my time enjoying a car inside of it. Therefore, I need a very nice interior. I don't own a porsche, but the driving dynamics of the car are obviously more important in that case. With my s500, interior was the #1 thing that sold me on the car.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:01 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Interior is very very important to me, since that's where you spend your time with a car. IMHO Porsche interiors have always been sub-par in design aesthetic. Their saving grace is (a) the superb driving/seating position, and (b) materials & build quality. Otherwise the layout/look has always been subpar, and remains so today.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:35 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When shopping for a car, I have a few **** deal-killers related to the interior:

1) No smokey smell as soon as I open the door. Deal killed, I move on.

2) No rips in the seats. I know I'm unlikely to make these repairs, so I don't want to be reminded of the defect every time I get in.

3) No cracked or cloudy IP bezels. I just hate that. Makes a new car seem "old."

Bonus: virgin cigarette lighter and ash tray. See #1.

Other than that, I can live with lots of things. Even dirty carpet can be cleaned.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:56 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Interior is very important to me...as is the condition of it...because I really can't see the exterior when I'm driving...only the interior. Many times my exterior may not be perfectly clean, but the interior is always spotless. To me the minimalist interior of the 993 reflects the overall attitude/concept of the car...simple, functional. Everyone has their own likes/dislikes...but for me, if it's not black interior and exterior...I wouldn't even consider it. Every car I've had in the past 20 years has been black on black.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:45 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Whenever a friend of mine gets a new car, they want to sit in it and show me all the neat gadgets inside. Ooh, ahh - look what this button does, look how that thing moves and flips or whatever. But when someone like that says 'let me check out your Porsch,' we climb in and sit there looking for something to ooh and ahh about. Not much ooh and aah to be had. Until I turn the key.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:41 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by brucec59
Not much ooh and aah to be had. Until I turn the key.
I like that...
Old 07-10-2008, 11:26 PM
eloyex
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

i love interiors .. i really pay attention to that ...
And let me tell you that the 993 eventhough is simple and spartan, is nice and balanced enough for my taste. X-tremelly functional.

A mercedes (just to mention one) has much more elaborate schemes, but the 993 is nicer enough to be qualified as a nice one.

It's quality is good too.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:38 PM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

I've noticed that interior color is left out of many ads with miles in second.

What does that tell us?

tino
Old 07-11-2008, 12:00 AM
gr8330
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Too each their own
Old 07-11-2008, 01:36 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Coming from an architect I find your post atypical. Most of my architect friends gush or curse interiors. I'm a bit particular too I'll admit. My father was an architect and we often chatted about the finer designs.

Quick Reply: Is Car's Interior Important to You?