993 Forum 1995-1998

Low speed steering "clunk"?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 04:50 PM
H2NO
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low speed steering "clunk"?

Anyone know what this clunk is? I hear it when steering left or right at parking lot speed. Thanks.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:47 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you're just sitting still, can you pull (or push) your steering wheel and feel/hear the noise? I have a similar issue if so. Seems like mine may need to have the lug that attaches the wheel to the column tightened.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:21 PM
jhummel68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had a clunk and found by tightening the body to sway bar mounts eliminated the clunk. I've got a TRG sway on the front and the play was between the bar and nylon mount. So far no clunks.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:24 AM
Jeffrey Tucker
Track Day

My C2S makes the same noise when I turn the wheel at low speeds--and I can feel it slightly through the wheel. My mechanic at the Porsche dealer has gone over the suspension twice now and swears it's normal and absolutely nothing to worry about. Doesn't feel quite normal to me, though. Mine has PSS9s and M030(ROW) sway bars. The issue only appeared several thousand miles after installing the new sway bars. Frustrating.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:31 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 201 Posts

Have you guys checked that ALL of your collars on your shocks are tight......

It has happened to me on more than one occasion - and when i say check - dont look - use the "C" spanner.

Simon.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:50 AM
jsalamunovich
Rennlist Member

Mine makes a clicking noise from somewhere in the front when turning at very slow speeds (like turning out of or into the driveway). It's like someting is binding on something else. Is that what you're talking about? Mine didn't make that noise until I had the front control arms replaced. I need to take it back to my mechanic to have him look at it.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:54 AM
H2NO
Instructor

It doesn't sound like it's binding. It sounds as if one piece of metal is hitting on another. The only thing I can compare it to is the sound you hear at low speeds when your rear sway bar mount breaks so that the sway bar is bouncing on the broken mount. I had this happen on my 3.2. Of course, that sound is MUCH louder and behind you.

Quick Reply: Low speed steering "clunk"?