Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here try "hypermiling" a bit in your 993 if it's your daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 05:12 PM
travanx
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw the CNN thing on this about 3 weeks ago. It was terrible. It showed the guy taking turns in his car without using the brakes going way too fast. He was turning the car off at stop lights. He was tailgaiting big rigs. I kept thinking the paint destruction, the engine destruction, the car destruction all to save a few bucks? What???? I understand gas is more expensive than a year ago, but there are many more expensive things to be concerned about. I am still worried that someone's bright idea will be to power cars with water and food.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:22 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,109 Likes on 1,815 Posts

I think its interesting that 911s are fuel efficient for what they are but I doubt anyone buys them for their gas consumption attributes. 993 for fun and if you want a practical and fuel-efficient DD, get one of these...25/35MPG.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:00 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by matt777
I had a VW Golf TDI in '02. It was great getting 45 mpg in the city. It was the most boring car I ever owned and I sold it after a year.
Originally Posted by jdistefa
I drive an '04 TDI Jetta wagon as a d/d. I put decent tires on it, plus Koni adjustable shocks and lowering springs. Fixes the incipient "North American" suspension tuning that VW seems to foist on us, and makes it a decent car for practicing momentum . And it is awfully nice to get 1000km per tank.
I am thinking about the upcoming TDI Jetta wagon as my daily driver. Thanks Matt and Matt for the varying opinions! I think I'd rather reduce my gas bill by having an efficient daily driver and not worrying when I drive the 993.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:09 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,109 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul902
I am thinking about the upcoming TDI Jetta wagon as my daily driver. Thanks Matt and Matt for the varying opinions! I think I'd rather reduce my gas bill by having an efficient daily driver and not worrying when I drive the 993.
That's the ticket. I'll probably trade the 2.0T A4 for the 2009 3.0 diesel A4 if it makes it to this side of the pond.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:43 AM
David Schiff
Instructor

my 993 97 C2Cab is my DD and i love to just motor in to work 17 mi with the top down and 2700rpm in what ever gear is legal for the road im on, and the Prius and others always pass me, but then never stop looking. Our cars have the best sculpted look of anything on the road, especially the As- end, and once a tank, i get withdrawl and need to hear the pipes of Darin and the hammers of hell.. especaially on an on ramp under an overpass.... , and then im ok for another 360-400 miles..
ds
Old 07-04-2008, 11:49 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I just read an article somewhere that said essentially that these hypermilers were increasing the fuel used by the rest of us. Example was the really slow starts at stoplights, causing fewer cars to get through each cycle. All those cars behind idling for another 2 or three minutes was using more fuel that a normal acceleration. So, while increasing their fuel economy, they are contributing negatively to consumption overall.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:35 PM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
I'm just skipping hot showers & meals instead.
LOL=

C/
Old 07-04-2008, 07:45 PM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

Or you could use the UPS strategy of only using right turns on their routes. Left turns have to be approved centrally.
They've saved millions on gas.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:02 PM
ASH.PALIN
Instructor

I took a trip today to visit some friends who live at the coast, about 100 miles, I pottered down there doing a rather dull 55-60 mph.

The fuel gauge needle barely moved.

On the way back I gave it the gun edging 90-100mph but mostly around the 85mph driving with mildly aggressive revs and gear changes used about half a tank but got home fast and was a fun drive.

The fun aspect is negated by the fact that it costs around £78.00 ($160.00) to fill the car up.

My 993 was my daily driver but now I have a 1.4 VW Polo as the ridiculous gas prices here would now make the 993 impractical for daily use.

My point is that the 993 can get about 30mpg when driven carefully but I guess that defeats the idea of having one.

I do feel that the Global Warming agenda is merely a club with which the governments of the "free" world are using to bash tax revenues from the people with.

The western way of life depends on fuel oils to sustain it, the governments know this and they keep pushing and pushing and we keep paying and paying.

However I think that If they really cared about the 'environmen/planet' then governments should address the manufacturers, ie a vehicle that does 6-12mpg should no longer be made.......but they don't do that.....I wonder why.......

They WANT you to buy gas at $5.00 £5.00 a gallon tax tax tax pay pay pay they love it, they profit from it.....great.

Quick Reply: Anyone here try "hypermiling" a bit in your 993 if it's your daily driver?