Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here try "hypermiling" a bit in your 993 if it's your daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 03:49 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Jeff,

To continue your example for the Honda Insight going from 90MPG to 100 MPG:

14K miles/year @ 90 MPG = 155 gallons @ $5/gal = $778
14k miles/year @100 MPG = 140 gallons @ $5/gal = $700

So, hypermiling that Insight will net him 15 gallons per year, for a savings of $78. Hypermiling an Econo box is not quite pointless, but you get my drift.
Steve,

While your math skills are good, the theory is a bit off. Hybrid cars mileage can vary a lot more than conventional cars depending upon how much of the time they run on electrical power. So a variation of 40mpg to 100 mpg is possible with hypermiling.

14K miles/year @ 40 MPG = 350 gallons @ $5/gal = $1750
14k miles/year @100 MPG = 140 gallons @ $5/gal = $700

Still only about $1k, but it is a worthy goal in that type of car.
However, it still defeats the point of owning a 993, IMHO.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:56 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Jeff,

Good point. Thanks. I'm actually more familiar with my Scion xA, which seems to get a pretty steady 32MPG, in mixed driving. While I really try to avoid stops and use intelligent techniques, the mileage seems to be little affected. Of course, the Scion only weighs 2300 pounds, so bringing it back up to cruising speed after a stop is not all that expensive. On the hiway, I try to keep the speed under 140. This is not as difficult as it might seem.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:07 PM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

If and when the day comes that I have to drive my 993 in an environmentally sensitive manner I'll take it off the road.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:00 PM
steve g
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We recently sold our beloved 1981 240D and delivered it to the new owner in NJ. It was the start of a 9 day vacation so needless to say we were in no hurry whatsoever. Normal mileage for that car around town driving has been 26-28 mpg so I wasnt expecting much more than a few mpg improvement going on a longer trip. Before hitting the road, I pumped the tires up to 35 lbs and kept the speed for most of the trip around 60mph. On the flat roads of IL, IN, OH we got 36mpg and in the hilly roads of PA the mileage dropped to 30mpg. I'd never do that in the 993 but for that car it was one heck of a last ride.

The new owner's pretty happy too. He'll probably remove the Rennist sticker on the top of the rear window though.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...172045&fpart=1
Old 06-29-2008, 05:30 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Interesting question... Hypermiling is relevant when you are driving a economy or hybrid technology car - I enjoy maxing out the potential MPG when driving in my Acura for example

However, when driving the 993 or any other sports car for that matter - Hypomiling is the order of the day! ( maximizing the performance per mile)
Old 06-29-2008, 05:55 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Each car/vehicle has its place. The smart is 38-40 v. C4S at 20-22; those are my commuters. The W4500 is 9-9.2. The F350 is 9-10 (only use it with the trailer hitched now, either cars or moving vending machines). So it costs what it costs. I will say that I don't drive the trucks over 60, mostly around 55. Safety aspect, plus does it really matter if it takes me 3 extra minutes to get back to the shop?
Old 06-29-2008, 07:06 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
...there are exhaustive threads on this board about the dangers of lugging the engine.
Yes, factor in the cost of a top end rebuild and then see if hypermiling in a 993 makes economic sense...
Old 06-29-2008, 07:31 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TMc993
It has clearly been illustrated that while worldwide consumption of oil has increased significantly, it has also been confirmed that a very significant part of the price spike is driven by speculators. If the people in this country had their **** together they would ban together and in a concerted effort, could easily cut consumption of oil by 20-25% without significantly affecting their collective quality of life. The effect would be to reduce consumption, albeit temporarily, which would increase supply, which would reduce the profits taken by inverstors and therefore dampen their ardor with regard to oil as a good investment. But we, as a country, will probably never, ever get our **** together again on anything, and therefore will continue to allow these leeches to bleed us dry.

On a similar note, after reading the current issue of Road & Track, I wonder what the hell anyone (Including Porsche) is thinking promoting electric cars, trucks and buses as a green solution to our climatic problems. Their latest research shows that 20% of our greenhouse gases come from automotive consumption of petroleum and a whopping 80% comes from production and consumption of electricity. So, now we are "solving" this problem by building cars that will increase the production of electricity, already the largest contributor of greenhouse gases.

This ranks right up there with ethenol as a solution for the oil consumption issue....Dumbasses!

There...Whew!...I feel better...Thanks...Here's your thread back.

Terry
Your notion of gas vs electricity is comical at best. I'm sorry you're probably a great guy and I love everyone on this forum but you really have no idea what youre talking about. Just because electricity is a bigger part of the problem, that doesnt mean going from gas to electricity in cars is a bad thing. We use electricity EVERYWHERE so its clear that it would be a giant contributor. The point is that we may increase electric problems a little bit....but reduce the gas problem by a lot....thus a net gain. Also electricity allows all of the gassing effect to be centralized to one location (the plant) whereas consuming gas spreads it everywhere. If the problem is centralized we can work on making that PLANT more efficient and thus even further lowering the problem. Don't assume you know more than the hundreds of thousands of engineers in the world who are working on problems like this everyday....chances are if you've thought of something they have as well On another note....I'm not trying to be a jerk....I'm just saying that hybrids are not bad. Although I am a bigger fan of the GM Volt....it is revolutionary....I also like the concept of the Honda Civic CNG....imagine a car whos engine runs for 500000 miles easy I want one.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:15 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

Great responses guys. Hypomiling... that's a good reply to my original question. Because pretty much none of you are doing this hypermiling thing in your 993's, I will totally refrain from doing anything to up my MPG as well, and start enjoying gunning my car again on entrances to the beltway, and driving a bit faster than I probably should be. This will really help me enjoy my car just that much more.

I'll just eat an extra peanut butter and jelly sandwich a week, brown bagged from home if I have to. I'll spend one less day on vacation if I have to. I'll stay at the Sheraton instead of the Ritz Carlton or the Four Seasons on my next family trip if I have to (though that will hurt the most). I'll work even harder at work putting in more hours if need be.

Hypermiling in a 993? It now make no sense at all to me. And one last thing, I HATE driving my car in 6th gear on the beltway to save MPG. I'm going to stop that too. I don't feel like I have full control of the car in such a high gear on our rutted expressway road.

Steve R
Old 06-29-2008, 09:50 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
I gotta tell you, there's nothing worse than having a Prius pull in front of me as I'm about to open up the 993 on a back country road. The notion of hypermiling a 993 is comical, and the only time I pay attention to my gas gauge is when it's nearing empty. Driving my 993 in a spirited manner is one of my favorite things to do (or an inexcusable fault for a hypermiler) and there are exhaustive threads on this board about the dangers of lugging the engine.
Originally Posted by Deadeye
If and when the day comes that I have to drive my 993 in an environmentally sensitive manner I'll take it off the road.
Exactly! That guy idiot doing his "tests" and gaining notoriety in the press likely has absolutely no regard for the many others who he is impacting by doing his goofy driving. Anyone found doing so with any Porsche should be caused to give up the car for 6 months!

About 150 of us did our best to drive in a style that would insure about 6 - 9mpg from our Porsches for the past three days.......at a track.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:57 PM
Dark Helmet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

step 5 is wrong... the longer the engine is under load, the more fuel you burn. use larger throttle openings for shorter times (short shift at ~3500-4K nonetheless) and get to where you are coasting sooner.

C/D or R&T did an experiment on this... netted them about 1mpg vs. slow and easy acceleration in a BMW 330 (255hp, 6spd manual, not too unlike an NA 993-996-997).

my wife drives a Jeep Cherokee (her choice), and this is worth about 2.5mpg in that rig.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:07 PM
GaryB
Instructor

Jeeze, I kept reading this thread thinking it was about "hyper-smiling". Which is the way I feel about driving a Porsche. You don't own a Porsche to drive it with a frown on your face.

Gary
Old 06-30-2008, 03:58 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Jeff,

Good point. Thanks. I'm actually more familiar with my Scion xA, which seems to get a pretty steady 32MPG, in mixed driving. While I really try to avoid stops and use intelligent techniques, the mileage seems to be little affected. Of course, the Scion only weighs 2300 pounds, so bringing it back up to cruising speed after a stop is not all that expensive. On the hiway, I try to keep the speed under 140. This is not as difficult as it might seem.
Steve,

The Scion is one thing, but If I had your Ruf, I would have a hard time keeping it under 140 too !
Old 06-30-2008, 04:29 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 TMc993
Old 06-30-2008, 04:49 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm gonna stick my neck out (again), and suggest that high performance driving isn't always about going as fast as you can. It also involves the sweet feel of a properly executed, double-declutched, heel & toe downshift, practicing proper apexes on on-ramps and curvey roads, and... timing the lights so as to bring the car to a stop as seldom as possible. None of these activities take anything away from the pleasure of properly driving any car... be it my lowly Scion, or a Ruf Turbo R. Gas mileage is certainly not my paramount concern in the Ruf, but if clever driving can be of some help at the pump, and it doesn't take away any of the driving experience, then why not? Again, the best single thing you can do for improving mileage is trying to time signals to arrive at a green, and never bringing the car to a stop. I would never advocate drafting a big rig... the drivers tend to get pissed off!

Quick Reply: Anyone here try "hypermiling" a bit in your 993 if it's your daily driver?