Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

windscreen tip

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008 | 09:49 AM
guards red
Racer

Default windscreen tip

Hi guys, sorry to ask this question again, but I installed a new rubber trip/seal around the windscreen last week and at speed the car now sounds like it has a window open. At anything over 40, it becomes noticible and at 70 it sounds like a gale. Would the seal make that much differance? Afterall, the screen is bonded and is not leaking any water etc. I've checked the seal, it's fully seated in the grove all around the glass, and visually it looks okay, what should I do? There is a stretch of the seal, about 10 inches long, that whilst fully seated in the grove doesn't press down on the body quite as much as the rest but you have to look for it and is barely noticeable. I tried taping over this bit with masking tape as suggested by another Rennlister, but to no avail. It's driving me bonkers and is killing the summer here in the UK for me. Any suggestions gratefully recieved.

Thanks
Tal
Old 06-22-2008 | 11:29 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

do you have a sunroof? Crazy as it may sound, with a new windshield on I had the same thing happen. It drove me nuts till I realized that the seal from the sunroof by a strange coincidence had started to slightly come off! I taped it with a masking tape and problem solved. LOL... ( Its a race car)! You never know...
Old 06-22-2008 | 12:18 PM
guards red
Racer

Hi Danny,

I do indeed have a sunroof. I shall try taping that up too. Did it really howl though? Not quite as loud as driving with the window open at 70, but LOUD!?
Old 06-22-2008 | 01:14 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by guards red
Hi Danny,

I do indeed have a sunroof. I shall try taping that up too. Did it really howl though? Not quite as loud as driving with the window open at 70, but LOUD!?
Oh yeah! I was driving on the highway at 70mph and bang I did not know what hit me! It was crazy loud...howling exactly as you described it! Like you, I checked my windshield seal and a small part of had come undone. I was sure that was it, so I taped it and it continued.... obviously it was not that! Good luck, hopefully its the same as with my car...
Old 06-22-2008 | 01:36 PM
guards red
Racer

Okay, will tape it up and give it a go. I take it it's just the felt seals, these are glued on right?

Thanks for your input, I can deal with most mechanical issues but I hate bodywork stuff. I have no patience for it and soon lose the plot.

Regards
Tal
Old 06-22-2008 | 02:31 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by guards red
Okay, will tape it up and give it a go. I take it it's just the felt seals, these are glued on right?

Thanks for your input, I can deal with most mechanical issues but I hate bodywork stuff. I have no patience for it and soon lose the plot.

Regards
Tal
Yeap, tape over them sealing the sunroof entirely. Hope that is it!

Quick Reply: windscreen tip