Sponsored by:

The "Love List"

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 04:18 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The "Love List"

Well, I was parked at my sister-in-law's house for my 3 y/o niece's birthday party. Street was fileld with min-vans. One of them apparently "kissed" my front bumper and theft a thumb sized impression.

My wife claims you can't even see it...but I decided to use this as an excuse/catalyst to get a whole bunch of cosmetic stuff taken care of...my "love list"...as the guy doing the work referred to it...

So, in addition to taking care of the front bumper, and a similar, but even smaller blemish on the rear bumper, I am also doing the following:

1. Replace cracked plastic pieces where the door meets the front pillar (you know, the one with the single screw in the middle which seem to crack in every single 993).

2. Replace left front speaker cover (which had a slight indentation from when the P.O. must have pushed it to open the door with her foot).

3. Replace black plastic pieces at the botton of the rear seat backs (which have developed fissures...I think this is also pretty common as I've seen it in other 993's).

4. Re-glue and refit headliner to sunroof so that it fits "as new."

5. Re-glue upholstered door panels. (The upholstery was starting to separate slightly in two areas so I wanted to repair this)

6. Replace stone guards which protect rear fenders.

7. Replace weather stripping.

I should have the car back on Monday, and then I will probably have it professioanlly detailed along the lines of what Mr. Sullivan did (or I will do it myself if I can find the time).
Old 06-19-2008, 05:44 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,011 Likes on 1,778 Posts

Are you deleting the front bumperettes "while you're in there"?
Old 06-19-2008, 05:46 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Nope-- Going to keep her "stock." In fact, I recently bought a bottle of Black Wow to do the bumperettes.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:05 PM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Black Wow works great, but check out the instructions on youtube. If you don't wipe off the excess with a damp cloth the bumperettes will become a dust magnet. You'll be tempted to drink the stuff when you smell it - reminds me of watermelon Jolly Ranchers.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:05 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rome
Nope-- Going to keep her "stock." In fact, I recently bought a bottle of Black Wow to do the bumperettes.
Some posters over on the Mini forums love Black Wow.
Any suggestions for a good place to buy it?
Thanks
Old 06-19-2008, 08:47 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

I ordered it from detailers domain on line.

Phil (the owner) is a member here and posts all over the place in the concours area.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:48 PM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Some posters over on the Mini forums love Black Wow.
Any suggestions for a good place to buy it?
Thanks
Check on the concours forum. Several sponsors sell the stuff and have discounts.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:47 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks; I'll do that.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:38 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Here are some pics of the stuff I did (as described in post #1 of the thread), and a shot of the bumperettes after application of the Black Wow.
Attached Images         
Old 06-28-2008, 08:36 PM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Your car looks great. I've done #1 (one of which has cracked AGAIN), 3 and 6 on your list, but would love to do #7 as well. May I ask how much it cost you to do the weather stripping?
Old 06-28-2008, 11:15 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rome
My wife claims you can't even see it...
Rome... sounds like my wife... can't you just buff that out?
Old 06-29-2008, 09:30 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Rome,

Your car looks great as do the improvements.

On he detail job. I used the same guy as Mr Sullivan (Josh Ottmann) to detail my Turbo R this week. It is simply amazing. My paint was in great condition and some thought that I was crazy to do anything to it. Josh came and spent 9 hours on it. Now my friends ask if it was just repainted. Simply amazing what a good detailer can do. I will post up pics but the rain is coming today.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:05 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mike993c2s
May I ask how much it cost you to do the weather stripping?
Thanks Mike-- The weather stripping costs about $200 per door, plus labor charge for 1 hr. I like the result because it looks "as new." The worn stripping looked tired.

Overall, I'm really pleased that I fixed all these little things because it makes the interior look much newer and well cared for.

Now, I'm off to order a new set of Lloyd's mats which will hopefully match the cashmere interior better (and have a red 'S' instead of a black one). When I ordered mine from Pelican last year I was disappointed I couldn't get these things right, but I think I'll try Sunset this time and see if I can get what I want.

Also, I am planning to use Leatherique on the grained leather on the dash and door panels (an C2S feature) to refresh them and give them that new look and feel. (After 10+ years they are starting to dry a bit).
Old 06-29-2008, 12:08 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pjconner
Rome,

Your car looks great as do the improvements.

On he detail job. I used the same guy as Mr Sullivan (Josh Ottmann) to detail my Turbo R this week. It is simply amazing. My paint was in great condition and some thought that I was crazy to do anything to it. Josh came and spent 9 hours on it. Now my friends ask if it was just repainted. Simply amazing what a good detailer can do. I will post up pics but the rain is coming today.
Glad to hear it. And yours looks great too.

The guy who did these cosmetic items for me washed the car and then I believe did a once over with and all-in-one type product. It looks really good right now (and I think my paint is already really nice too), so I was thinking maybe I'll pass on the detail. But, it the end, I do want to get the swirls out and get the type of result Mr. Sullivan got, which seems to have made the paint look (almost) new again.

What did a detail of that type run you cost wise?
Old 06-29-2008, 12:12 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cab&coupe
Rome... sounds like my wife... can't you just buff that out?
Craig-- This is why we lease her cars...there are usually dings and scratches all over them after the first month...LOL

Quick Reply: The "Love List"