Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 Sport Seats - How to keep leather in the channel?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 03:50 AM
ezinternet
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 993 Sport Seats - How to keep leather in the channel?

Hey all - On the 993 sport seats is there a trick to keeping the edge of the leather material fastened in the channel of the plastic seat backs? Mine seem to always want to pull out here and there. I just push the plastic coil material that is sewn into the trailing edge of the leather back in the channel.

In this picture (credit: LA Porsche Dismantlers) you can see the problem: at shoulder-high on either seat, near the release levers. The right-side seat shows the edge almost "out" and the left-side seat shows it heading that way.

Is there a trick to get the edge to stay in the channel?
Attached Images  
Old 06-16-2008, 10:39 AM
harveyn
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, there should be metal clips that help keep it in place, these grip the rubber edge and help wedge the leather into the groove. I bought some more at a car show and have them every 6 inches and now it stays in firmly. Mine used to squeak if you put pressure on the sides. I cured this by wiping in a product called Lipsol, which is a German lubricant. It has made the leatther more supple,and with the extra clips, the seats are like new.

Cheers
Old 06-16-2008, 11:51 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 212 Posts

When I was considering having the backs of my seats painted I went by an auto upholstery shop. There are several metal chips that they cut off to separate the back. Then they put new ones on to reattach it. It’s my guess that that would be an easy fix unless there is other damage.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:58 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am on the second set of sport seats, and I have to tell you in my opinion - no. Occupational hazard of having these. All you can do is try no to 'jump' into the seats, which can pull out the rubber fasteners...other than that, just keep pushing them back in, I do it about 1/week. Design flaw I guess..

Quick Reply: 993 Sport Seats - How to keep leather in the channel?