Sponsored by: DashLynx

Catalyst Temp sensors; Japan market?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 05:04 PM
Bill51sdr
Fleet of Foot
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Catalyst Temp sensors; Japan market?

My '95 993 was bought here in California and was subsequently shipped to Japan. I bought the car from the original owner and finally got around to (permanently) removing the engine tray. I noticed that both cats have temperature probes in them, the wiring rather loosely tied to various points beneath the engine & forward beneath the car. The car also has a red light in the lower left dash with "EXT" printed on it. I have a feeling this is a Japan market only addition to the car and would like to remove it if this is the case. A quick search of the forum returned no real information so I thought I'd check in here. TIA for any tips/info.

Last edited by Bill51sdr; 06-11-2008 at 06:06 PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:13 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't think those are exhaust temp sensors in the classic sense (being read for tuning purposes). To read EGT's properly, the probe needs to be within 8" of the header to head connection as so not to loose any true temps. Your setup is probably reading either cat condition .......or someone had no idea what they were doing and is reading the wrong temps (because of how far away from the true source the probes are)
Any pics?
Old 06-11-2008, 05:45 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know if it's a Japanese requirement but I believe those are to warn you of overheating cats. IIRC early Ferrari 308s had the same thing on all their cars.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:52 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Porsches built for the Japanese market were essentially ROW cars with the 'ZZZ' in characters 4-6 of the VIN, and predominately LHD models in a RHD country .... but with a few special wrinkles: one of these was an emergency flashlight with red flasher clipped in the passenger footwell .... and another is a thermal sensor( thermocouple or RTD) in each CAT exit pipe wired to a red warning icon in the dash.
The purpose of the latter is to warn of an overheating CAT, due to a rich condition: AFAIK, this was only a warning system, providing no shutdown or safety interlock function; therefore, the system can be defeated without consquence if desired.
I suspect that your car was "federalized" to allow entry to Japan .... in the same hamfisted way the US demanded federalization several years ago for ROW cars.

I had imported a mint 928 S4 from Japan, so have had some experience with their systems ..... so as a PS - check the cutoff pattern of the headlights: they may have been swapped for RHD traffic versions
Old 06-11-2008, 10:46 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

I would think it would be RHD and with metric instrumentation. These features are somewhat interesting, I feel.

Quick Reply: Catalyst Temp sensors; Japan market?