Sponsored by:

Jack Daniels Porsche Service NJ

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 11:35 AM
AGC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jack Daniels Porsche Service NJ

Anyone have experience with there service department, I have not been there in a few years currently using Powertech, but was thinking of going there this time since Powertech is a bit far from me.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:08 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,251 Posts

Originally Posted by AC.
Anyone have experience with there service department, I have not been there in a few years currently using Powertech, but was thinking of going there this time since Powertech is a bit far from me.
Honestly, stick with Powertech or I can suggest a number of equally good if not better local independents. PM if you want some very good local shops. Where in North Jersey are you located?
Old 06-11-2008, 01:01 PM
AGC
Racer

I am in Dumont, NJ; right next to Paramus.

Any suggestions would be great
Old 06-11-2008, 03:18 PM
isell188
Intermediate

Default With a name like Jack Daniels.....

How bad could the service be...
Old 06-11-2008, 04:51 PM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

I tried them recently for some minor services because they are so convenient for me.
I was not happy with any of the jobs.
Oil Change: Smoke on startup on the first few drives which went away. Probably a slight overfill.
Swap Steering Wheel: They told me that the new wheel woulden't line up strait. I had to explain/argue with them that it was possible to rotate the wheel before it was tightened.
Noticed the tail light was out on the way there, asked them to replace...they tried to charge me 1/2 labor for this as an individual labor item even though there was plenty of other labor.
They also told me I needed an alignment. I asked how they figured that out and the respone was that my front wheels were wearing unusually. I advised them that the car had new shocks 12k miles ago and that the tires came with the wheels, used.
If you don't know a little bit about cars I could see how you could wind up paying for a lot of pricey and probably unnecessary service there.
I go to Powertech for anything major, they are honest and high quality. Worth the trek.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:00 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 791 Likes on 426 Posts

I dunno, you found a good independant within a 25 minute drive west on Route 46, I'd stick with them. I schlep my cars 190 miles to a great independent to avoid the doofus' at the local Porsche dealership. The dealership does do a nice mount and balance so they get that business once every other year.

Btw, I have had some bad experiences with them from many years ago and I have heard it has not changed.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:37 PM
samsnead
Pro

I am suprised to hear positive things for Powertech. I tried them last year and found them to be worse than a dealership. Mike was non communicative, they did things incorrectly and charged me to fix them, even though I went so far as to provide diagrams and images of how to do it. The labour costs were inflated, I shouldnt be able to do a job faster than a professional. I think for every job they take the car off the hoist, put out in lot, then the mechanic stretches and does Yoga for 15 minutes, then they put the car back on the hoist; all of which you will be billed for. Mike tried to justify the excessive time by saying if I bought the parts from him then it wouldnt take so long, oddly enough I did buy the parts from Powertech.

There are a lot more honest and professional shops in the area in my opinion.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:06 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by AC.

Talk to "AndyT" on the 996 GT-3 Forum. He'll give you some feedback,........
Old 06-11-2008, 09:43 PM
tdarby
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Protosport off rt 23 in pompton
Old 06-11-2008, 10:13 PM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

JD wouldn't be my first choice. PowerTech, Protosport, Autohaus, Pepe Porsche are pretty much w/i a 30 to 45 minute drive. Not in any particular order.
Be as knowledgeable and familiar with the services needed. Ask questions here so you are prepared to confront and question the actual ones doing the service.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:14 PM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by samsnead
I am suprised to hear positive things for Powertech. I tried them last year and found them to be worse than a dealership. Mike was non communicative, they did things incorrectly and charged me to fix them, even though I went so far as to provide diagrams and images of how to do it. The labour costs were inflated, I shouldnt be able to do a job faster than a professional. I think for every job they take the car off the hoist, put out in lot, then the mechanic stretches and does Yoga for 15 minutes, then they put the car back on the hoist; all of which you will be billed for. Mike tried to justify the excessive time by saying if I bought the parts from him then it wouldnt take so long, oddly enough I did buy the parts from Powertech.

There are a lot more honest and professional shops in the area in my opinion.
wow.
i think this is the first time i've seen negative feedback about them.
definatly not been my experience.
what was the job?
Old 06-11-2008, 11:19 PM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fast_freddy
The dealership does do a nice mount and balance so they get that business once every other year.
I like Eurotire in Fairfield for that
Old 06-11-2008, 11:43 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 791 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by midcont
I like Eurotire in Fairfield for that
I know Eurotire well. Used to get all my "wheelstuffs" there. What I was referring to was my Porsche dealer here in Northern VT who is worthless from a tech perspective. They did an alignment for me, botched the toe settings, tires wore in no time flat and argued that the wear was even so to it was my fault as a result of my driving style. They do a nice botchless mount and balance job though.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:53 AM
samsnead
Pro

wow.
i think this is the first time i've seen negative feedback about them.
definatly not been my experience.
what was the job?

I had Mike do a number of things. I had used Elite Motorwerks at High Marques prior to this and really liked the techs there. Unfortunately they closed down right before I had purchased this car. I bought a 3.2 in California and drove it back, it had been through smog right before I picked it up, so I had powertech perform state inspection, install fabspeed exhaust, cat bypass, oil change, outer CV boots, O2 sensor,install strut tower brace, change air filter, and install a radio. The inspection was nearly 2 hours labour and a $80 dollar paper fee-this car had just passed the CA smog 6 days prior, and I have never paid more than $90 in NJ( 26 MPG average at an average of 100 MPH, .3 litres oil consumption over 3300 miles). I asked that he call me before anyone touches the car, he assured me it would happen. I called 3 days straight without a return phone call. Finally I got frustrated and drove out there, most of the work had already been done. I provided him with instructions including pictures on things like the strut brace( cut the carpet and feed it through) this was done wrong and he said no problem he would take care of it, I didnt realize he would charge me twice for his error. When it was all done .5 hours to change an air filter(even though I did so in less than 10 minutes in front of him) 1.5 hours labour on a oil change( this is a 3.2, single filter) 5 hours to install a radio and the list goes on.

This guy is a sheister, I dont know if he just decided to rip me off, but I know for a fact I am not the only one. I have done all these items myself, and could have done it in less time. The work was good quality, but no way should I have to pay for someone else's mistakes, or their lunch break or bathroom break or afternoon nap. In discussions with others that know Mike it is always the same response, really nice guy, but dont do business with him.

For those that use powertech it may be worthwhile to try others, maybe the grass is greener.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:28 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 103 Posts

No issues with any of the work done on my car by Powertech...

Quick Reply: Jack Daniels Porsche Service NJ