Sponsored by:

Jack Daniels Porsche Service NJ

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 10:06 AM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

FWIW: On the way down from Maine I had to make an emergency deviation to Town Motors (I think that was the name) Porsche in Englewood-it was July and the a/c stopped on the way to Texas.) I was very pleased with the service and work done.

Al
Old 06-12-2008, 10:23 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,251 Posts

They say you can't please all the people all the time. I have found after 25 years of dealing with many of these shops that there is always a sob story about each. Sometimes the chemistry is not there and on occasion even the best drop the ball and personalities conflict.

I have found that when it comes to my Porsche's IMO the independents are my first choice over most dealerships. Especially as the cars get older and the experience of the dealership technicians is limited to plug and play of the newer models. The dealerships do everything by the book, these cars require you to read between the lines and when doing things by the book you miss out on the inside info these guys have accumulated over the years.

I agree Protosport has done some very nice work on my cars but like all shops you need to communicate exactly what you want done.

damn database error
Old 06-12-2008, 04:00 PM
Chuck A.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not questioning the negative experience at PowerTech, but can tell you after going there for many years that this is not their standard operating model. They are not the cheapest (and I have been charged different rates for state inspections), but I trust them and they stand behind their work.

For example, I bought the M030 ROW kit with threaded shocks from Gert and had PowerTech install them and align the car as well.

After picking up the car, I could tell something wasn't 100%. After a few weeks I called Mike and said I wasn't happy and he told me to bring it in. I worked with his tech for almost 3 hours to get the alignment to where I wanted it. We used the alignment specs from pcar.com as a reference. Mike did not charge me anything for that extra time.

My recommendation, is that in the future, get a quote in writing so you know exactly what the costs will be and can refer back to that if something isn't correct.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:26 PM
samsnead
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am glad others have not had a similar experience. There are two sides to every story and I wanted to make sure that other rennlisters have all the facts at hand before a decision is made. I made every effort on the front end to ensure that this didnt happen, but Mike would not commit to a number, and due to the recommendations of others on this site I trusted Mike. Unfortunately it did not work out, I have taken my business elsewhere and hopefully others do not have a similar experience.

Quick Reply: Jack Daniels Porsche Service NJ