Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 Fabspeed Cat Bypass Install??

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 01:29 AM
daltvater
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 95 Fabspeed Cat Bypass Install??

Trying to install Cat Bypasses I bought new from Fabspeed. There is a hole on each Bypass pipe for an O2 sensor. Bought new and specified that I need the 95 version. I thought their was only 1 O2 for a 95. Am I just supposed to plug one of the 2 holes and if so which hole? Anyone experience this?

Thanks!

Dan
Old 06-11-2008, 07:04 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 566 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by daltvater
Trying to install Cat Bypasses I bought new from Fabspeed. There is a hole on each Bypass pipe for an O2 sensor. Bought new and specified that I need the 95 version. I thought their was only 1 O2 for a 95. Am I just supposed to plug one of the 2 holes and if so which hole? Anyone experience this?

Thanks!

Dan
One side should be plugged, doesn't matter which. Why not call, see if they erred or if you are supposed to supply the plug
Old 06-11-2008, 04:02 PM
glennp_993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm seriously considering installing the same bypass pipes on my '96. i would appreciate any helpful hints or pictures you might have. Thanks, Glenn
Old 06-11-2008, 04:40 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If necessary, you can buy an 02 sensor bung from a muffler shop for just a few bucks...
Old 06-11-2008, 05:17 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah
If necessary, you can buy an 02 sensor bung from a muffler shop for just a few bucks...
If it matters, those tend to be steel. Either see if a stainless plug can be ordered or go get a stainless bolt and use that instead, otherwise the steel plug will rust in place.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:55 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

That's a good point. If you do go with steel, install it with plenty of hi-temp anti-seize, the copper stuff. On my previous 911, I installed an 02 sensor bung so that I could tune the car with an LM-1 (I was running Megasquirt EFI). Never had a problem with rust, given the anti-seize.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:10 PM
slvr993
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

I know this is an old thread............

So it doesn't matter which bank the sensor reads from? With fabspeed the pipes don't cross over so you'll be reading only from one bank or the other. That sounds dangerous to me. Is it?

Jeff
Old 09-08-2009, 04:37 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slvr993
I know this is an old thread............

So it doesn't matter which bank the sensor reads from? With fabspeed the pipes don't cross over so you'll be reading only from one bank or the other. That sounds dangerous to me. Is it?

Jeff
No, it's normal to read only 1 bank, both my cars are set up that way, 1 w/ stock 993 manifolds/Fabspeed bypass & 1 w/ headers. No problem.

Just for kicks I check w/ an LM wideband ocassionally but it does'nt matter which side is sampled
Old 09-08-2009, 06:40 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Sorry to hijack a littel but its on topic...

I have these on my 993 race car with the Fabspeed supercup exhaust pipes. Seems like a lot of piping under there and Im wanting to get some more weight off the back of the car.
My question is, do you guys think there is a horsepower advantage for the longer pipes rather than just making some straight pipes out the back of the bumper? The stock headders point to the center of the rear bumper so building two short stainless pipes to exit out the center ALA GT3 would be 15 to 20 pounds lighter and easy to do.

Any dis-advantage? They don't cross over now as an X pipe so they really are just very long straight pipes with a very small muffler on the back, if you want to call it that.

???

Jeff
Old 09-08-2009, 10:37 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gasser
Sorry to hijack a littel but its on topic...

I have these on my 993 race car with the Fabspeed supercup exhaust pipes. Seems like a lot of piping under there and Im wanting to get some more weight off the back of the car.
My question is, do you guys think there is a horsepower advantage for the longer pipes rather than just making some straight pipes out the back of the bumper? The stock headders point to the center of the rear bumper so building two short stainless pipes to exit out the center ALA GT3 would be 15 to 20 pounds lighter and easy to do.

Any dis-advantage? They don't cross over now as an X pipe so they really are just very long straight pipes with a very small muffler on the back, if you want to call it that.

???

Jeff
You'll make a lot of noise!, I'd check f/a ratios, you will probably want a new chip(unless you have Motec then yo just need to recalibrate)

I like the idea of loosing another 16-20#s from the extremes, but there are fewer venues w/o noise restrictions every year
Old 09-08-2009, 11:18 PM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Default Fabspeed Cat bypass up for grabs !

I have a set kicking around. Anyone else need a used set for Bischoff brand muffler fitment? A very noticeable power difference. In very good condition. They also shave alot of weight off the back end.

My set came with the second O2 sensor hole plugged. No CEL ever on my 1995 C2.

If you are planning to do this make sure you buy 6 new bolts before you start.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:09 AM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
You'll make a lot of noise!, I'd check f/a ratios, you will probably want a new chip(unless you have Motec then yo just need to recalibrate)

I like the idea of loosing another 16-20#s from the extremes, but there are fewer venues w/o noise restrictions every year
Funny, my buddies RSA with straight pipes is not as loiud as my catless supercup exhaust. Most love the way my car sounds and its loud as hell. I already have a chip that came with the car. Im just interested in getting the weight off. I just can't imagine how taking a long open single pipe exhaust and making it 4 feet shorter on each side will change the A/F ratio that much although a good dyno would be a great Idea after a change just to see what effect a good set of headders and short pipes did. Motec, now thats another thing all together. One of these days Ill be there but not yet...$$$

Thanks for your reply. Ill do some more research...

Jeff
Old 09-09-2009, 09:46 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gasser
Funny, my buddies RSA with straight pipes is not as loiud as my catless supercup exhaust. Most love the way my car sounds and its loud as hell. I already have a chip that came with the car. Im just interested in getting the weight off. I just can't imagine how taking a long open single pipe exhaust and making it 4 feet shorter on each side will change the A/F ratio that much although a good dyno would be a great Idea after a change just to see what effect a good set of headders and short pipes did. Motec, now thats another thing all together. One of these days Ill be there but not yet...$$$

Thanks for your reply. Ill do some more research...

Jeff
A LM1 or 2 recording wideband is a great way to check on this stuff, better to know than guess

hard to believe that an open exhaust is quieter than a poorly muffled one
Old 09-09-2009, 11:27 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Hey Speedyellow,

I might be interested in adding your bypass pipes to my collection of uninstalled parts in my garage, LOL. Does having these on make the car louder? My wife all ready does not like the car from hell's sound level. She thinks it is too loud as is - factory motorsound package on car.

Thanks.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:28 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Craig,
Happy wife = no cat bypass, and never supercups. If your marriage can endure just a little more noise, try maxflows or the rsr's. Bypass will have you sleeping on the couch.

Except my wife--her little race car is louder than my track car.

Quick Reply: 95 Fabspeed Cat Bypass Install??