Sponsored by:

Engine pinging (~3000rpm) and Chevron fuel

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 05:48 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill 993
They did check codes using a Bosch KTS300 and found no faults. They also added a fuel cleaning additive (don't know the brand). I've been adding a 16oz bottle of Techtron every 3,000 miles (for last 4 years).

I should mention the pinging isn't severe, would take several full throttle runs to notice (if at all). I wasn't sure I heard it, until Gerber mentioned they heard pinging after the test drive today.
Maybe Tony C can back me up on this, since he's the one who told me... If you are using Chevron fuel, you should NOT be adding any additional techron or techroline. Can't remember the exact reason, but I remember it not being a good thing.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:14 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

have you tried another tank of fuel - either Chevron or another brand? eliminate the bad fuel possibility first
Old 06-03-2008, 08:37 PM
Bill 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chevron states on their website that adding the bottle provides a concentration 10X what is provided by just the Chevron gasoline. I typically added the bottle in the tank before an oil change. I agree, benefit could be questionable, but figured it couldn't hurt.

So I think my plan will be (in order):
1. Try new gas brand (on next tank)
2. Try to determine if my 993 has had the ECU programmed
3. Look into using Bosch tools to determine pinging events and/or determine if plug wire / timing related

Likely will take me a week or so to work thru this list.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:53 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"determine if plug wire"

Easy to do by just disconnecting the power lead to each coil one at a time,
i.e. This removes one of the two ignition systems completely which then
will isolate an ignition plug wiring problem.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:21 PM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is interesting and got me thinking about my car.

My car regularly pings for a second or two when aggressively opening the throttle from mid-RPM ranges. It goes away so it sounds like the computer is doing it's job and the best fuel I can get is 91 octane. I always assumed this was normal due to the fuel available here.

Is this normal or are there components such as plug wires that will reduce/eliminate this? The car is a '95 with stock chip, 106K miles and does have new cap rotors oil etc etc.

Thanks.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:40 PM
TCallas
Rennlist Member

First off, I would be careful NOT to add additional Techron IF you are using Chevron fuel because I have found that it has a tendency to wash the cylinders somewhat. I am sticking to my "Software Issue" educated guess. By the way, I am with Geolab on the bet. I am sure they did it but make sure they check the distributor drive belt really well. It's been a long time since I have seen him, hello to Walter for me.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:54 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by dbf73
have you tried another tank of fuel - either Chevron or another brand? eliminate the bad fuel possibility first
+1, cheapest method is a can of octane booster enough for 72 litres.

Technically, a cheaper method is to add water to the gas to raise octane level , but measurement has to be precise etc...

There are two distinct things here that may be occuring with same effect and draws to confusion,
1-pre-ignition and 2-pinging/knocking.

To generalize, pinging is more mechanical, timing, heat, pressure, etc.
pre-ignition is more octane, gas, carbon, etc.

try octane booster, if all goes, its the gas
Old 06-04-2008, 03:10 PM
TCallas
Rennlist Member

Geolab, sounds like a good plan to me.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:14 PM
billpor930
Intermediate

Default Pinging

If you're sure the distributor drive belt is intact, another thing could be that improper spark plugs were installed. If the heat range is too hot, pinging could be the result.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:23 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by VNTGSPD
My car regularly pings for a second or two when aggressively opening the throttle from mid-RPM ranges. It goes away so it sounds like the computer is doing it's job and the best fuel I can get is 91 octane. I always assumed this was normal due to the fuel available here.

Is this normal or are there components such as plug wires that will reduce/eliminate this? The car is a '95 with stock chip, 106K miles and does have new cap rotors oil etc etc.

Thanks.
A few thoughts,.....

1) 91 octane is quite frankly, marginal for these cars. Porsche knew this and printed their octane requirements in the owner's manual and thats based on obtaining maximum performance.

2) That said, these cars should NOT knock on 91 unless there are other issues at work.

3) Based on what I've observed, engines with 106K on them have a lot of carbon buildup on the piston crowns and chamber surfaces which both raise the mechanical CR as well as provide a source of self-ignition (hot spot) that can trigger detonation and/or pre-ignition.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:31 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to let you know, I tried all of these when experiencing pinging (detonation) at 3000 RPM and up.
(hope this helps.)

-octane booster = Still pinged
-different gas = Still pinged
-new plugs = Still pinged
-new caps/rotors = Still pinged
-checked dual dist belt = Still pinged
-swapped out knock sensor = Still pinged
-swapped out ecu = Still pinged
-new O2 sensors = Still pinged
-new plug wires (after seeing spark arcing from one wire to another at 3000 + RPM) = Bingo!
Old 06-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"new plug wires (after seeing spark arcing from one wire to another at 3000 + RPM)"

As mentioned before, it only takes 1-2 minutes to disconnect an igntion coil
to isolate bad plug wires.

Quick Reply: Engine pinging (~3000rpm) and Chevron fuel