Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you're thinking of repainting your calpers with brush on expoxy....don't.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008 | 07:26 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Just don't powdercoat them if you do track events. Powder coating can't stand up to the heat, and will get soft, then brake dust and other junk will get embedded into it.
Old 06-03-2008 | 02:39 AM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Got myself some paint and epoxy remover and began the tedious process of stripping off the epoxy. Will get them media blasted after that unless someone can tell me if media blasting will do a good job of getting the epoxy off and save me the hassle? Also wondering how to pull the pistons out of the calipers for blasting and powdercoating? Man, I sure didn't expect to go through this much of a hassle. BTW, the can came less than half full of paint. No idea how anyone could do more than 4 calipers with as much as that. Probably an indication that the stuff was a little old and lost the thinning agent. Either way I would only wish this much hassle for an owner of a lesser automobile than a 993
Old 06-03-2008 | 03:31 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2ndof2
Got myself some paint and epoxy remover and began the tedious process of stripping off the epoxy. Will get them media blasted after that unless someone can tell me if media blasting will do a good job of getting the epoxy off and save me the hassle? Also wondering how to pull the pistons out of the calipers for blasting and powdercoating? Man, I sure didn't expect to go through this much of a hassle. BTW, the can came less than half full of paint. No idea how anyone could do more than 4 calipers with as much as that. Probably an indication that the stuff was a little old and lost the thinning agent. Either way I would only wish this much hassle for an owner of a lesser automobile than a 993
hELLO, Bead blasting (you do not nead) or sand blasting (better), will remove the old scum on your calipers no worries.
The caliper thing is a dirty job.
What you can do is remove the calipers, and prepare them for blasting.
Get a thick large tape and stick a piece on every piston.
Take a cutter blade and carefully snap the end edge as if to renew the cutting tip of the blade.
With this small tip, contour the pistons in the metalic groove surrounding the piston, to cut the excess of tape.
Try to remove the bleeding valves, and replace with tall bolts to be able to handle
the calipers while painting or powdercoating etc
regards
Old 06-03-2008 | 09:31 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

VHT high heat caliper paint, 6 coats of color with 2 coats of clear:

Old 06-03-2008 | 10:39 AM
red89
Racer

Default I'll take epoxy over powder coat any day

Powder coat is applied using electrical charge to attract. Thus, the powder has trouble getting into corners and building up on outer corners. Powder coat does NOT stand up to rust like epoxy.
Old 06-03-2008 | 12:06 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

One can of spray paint , one can of clear coat and $ 8 porsche decals is all you need for a very durable and nice looking job . That`s what I use on mine and I concourse and always get great comment on them . To remove the mess just use a consentrated paint remover and scrape and wipe off .

Cheers Guy
Old 06-03-2008 | 01:56 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

I used the Duplicolor brush on, and couldn't be happier. You have to put on multiple coats, though. The first coat looks terrible, and you'll think your making a mistake, but keep applying coats. By the time you are painting the last caliper, the first is ready for another coat, and so on. By the fourth coat the paint smooths itself out really nicely. You can't even see any brush marks. Add the ebay Porsche decal, two coats of high temp clear, and they look awesome!
Attached Images  
Old 06-03-2008 | 02:03 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Fister: Where did you get "high temp" clear? Is it brush or spray? Thanks for any help.
Old 06-03-2008 | 02:06 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Raptor
Fister: Where did you get "high temp" clear? Is it brush or spray? Thanks for any help.
It is a spray on. NAPA Auto Parts.
Attached Images  
Old 06-03-2008 | 02:16 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

In the process of removing all the paint with a paint/epoxy remover and skipping any media blasting to avoid other issues like screwing up piston seals etc.

I'm thinking about spraying them rather than powder coating but need to decide which brand to use. Any suggestions out there besides VHT just for comparisons?

Never doing a brush on approach again E-V-E-R!!!! I knew it would come out like crap just as I expected and sure enough, it did.

Like I said before, maybe the paint was old enough to have problems but I'm not taking that chance again.
Old 06-03-2008 | 02:33 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2ndof2
Never doing a brush on approach again E-V-E-R!!!! I knew it would come out like crap just as I expected and sure enough, it did.

Like I said before, maybe the paint was old enough to have problems but I'm not taking that chance again.
I understand your frustration. I was freaking out with mine after the first two coats...it looked like sh*t...but read that you need to keep applying it and it will smooth out. By four coats, it looks nice.
Good luck with your refinish.
Old 06-03-2008 | 02:41 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

I would think any of the spray type paints meant for calipers (high temp) should be ok. I went with VHT due to searching past threads on the same subject and reading what people had used with success. I am no painter and mine turned out GREAT. VHT is rated to 900 degrees and I used VHT specific clear caliper paint after applying the Porsche decal.

As always prep is the key: I used paint stripper, sand, sand, sand, wax/grease remover, 2 coats of adhesion promoter, 6 coats of color. Let dry, applied decal and shot 2 coats of clear.

Good luck!
Old 06-03-2008 | 02:50 PM
hpuck
Rennlist Member

what size is the correct decal and the source?
doing mine soon.
Thanks.
Old 06-03-2008 | 04:24 PM
MDamen
Pro

I used the VHT spray paint. three coats of color, two coats of clear. Measure your decals before you buy new ones. I ended up with ones a little larger than what came on the black calipers. Be sure to sand down the edges of any chipped paint, otherwise it will show through the new paint. I love the way mine turned out.

I looked into powder coating, but they require you completely strip your calipers. I didn't want to go to that effort. I would probably do some damage in the assembly/re-assembly of the pistons.
Old 06-03-2008 | 07:08 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MDamen
I used the VHT spray paint. three coats of color, two coats of clear. Measure your decals before you buy new ones. I ended up with ones a little larger than what came on the black calipers. Be sure to sand down the edges of any chipped paint, otherwise it will show through the new paint. I love the way mine turned out.

I looked into powder coating, but they require you completely strip your calipers. I didn't want to go to that effort. I would probably do some damage in the assembly/re-assembly of the pistons.

With you on that...not sure I want to mess with those seals and potentially screw something up. Its been a complete fiasco for me so far but I feel I've had the persistance of the Pittsburg Penguins in the Stanley Cup finals! (my money is on the Wings however)

Where is everyone getting that spray on paint? VHT is it? I have some spray-on clear that is supposed to be for calipers and also some spray-on engine primer coat I can use prior to the painting. I think this should wind up looking pretty good, just sorry I didn't do that in the first place.

Quick Reply: If you're thinking of repainting your calpers with brush on expoxy....don't.