Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Switchblade Key FOB - what do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 05:30 PM
simpsoap
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Switchblade Key FOB - what do I need?

okay, so looking over the options for my car and noticing that it came with the stock Porsche alarm (I've had the car for about a week) - I don't know how to set the alarm?

I only got 1 key with the car, they only had one key - but do I need a switchblade key and have the dealership program this? Does this allow me to unlock the car or do I still need to lock/unlock the car with the key?

In other words - what is the purpose of the switchblade key?

Sorry for the newb questions.....I did search as well - just am not sure what I need to buy or do.

Andy
Old 05-22-2008, 05:46 PM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 127 Posts

The switchblade key has a button to lock and unlock the car. The alarm/immobilizer automatically sets when you lock the car with the remote.

You are not supposed to unlock the car with the key except in an emergency- in fact, there should be a plastic cap covering the key slot in the door.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:46 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends on the year too as I thought my '95 would have a remote only to find out that some early cars did not come with one. I have the key only. I know I can buy a remote and convert it - someday.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:13 PM
Nuff
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by matt777
It depends on the year too as I thought my '95 would have a remote only to find out that some early cars did not come with one. I have the key only. I know I can buy a remote and convert it - someday.
If you have a '95 and just want keyless entry, you can do this:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...+keyless+entry

Total cost is around $30 plus about an hour of time.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:52 PM
simpsoap
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

so should I call the dealership to see if I should be able to get a switchblade unit? Is there is certain year or whatever? Considering I have a 95 I am sure I have to do the mod that the others are doing. I would prefer to have the keyless as remembering to lock the car is kind of a PITA.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:45 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by simpsoap
okay, so looking over the options for my car and noticing that it came with the stock Porsche alarm (I've had the car for about a week) - I don't know how to set the alarm?

I only got 1 key with the car, they only had one key - but do I need a switchblade key and have the dealership program this? Does this allow me to unlock the car or do I still need to lock/unlock the car with the key?

In other words - what is the purpose of the switchblade key?

Sorry for the newb questions.....I did search as well - just am not sure what I need to buy or do.

Andy
http://p-car.com/diy/key/
Old 05-23-2008, 10:08 PM
mce993
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure what kind of key fob came with the 95's, but IMHO the Porsche OEM switchblade key fobs that came with my 96 993 C2 are extremely cheesy. Nothing like the switchblade fobs that came with our two VW GTI's. The VW ones are uber robust and designed to last. Heck, I bet I could shuck an oyster with one. Was I you, I would go with the separate fob and key setup, along with the LED light upgrade, described on the p-car website and referenced above in this thread. I did that to ours and wouldn't go back now.

Mark

Quick Reply: Switchblade Key FOB - what do I need?