Storing your Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 04:04 AM
tshawa
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Storing your Porsche

Hey everybody...

I have put my Porsche into hibernation due to the VERY hot weather we get here in Kuwait. It will probably get it out a few times during the late nights, when the weather is better, but will probably be in place for the next couple of months. I bought a cover and have parked it in the shade.

My question is, what do I need to do to keep it in good shape? Should I start her up every couple of days and let it run, or should I disconnect the battery? Any other tips?

Thanks
Old 05-19-2008, 10:52 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

There are bunches of posts re: winter storage, but not sure I've seen a bunch with summer. My grandparents who wintered in the desert would put several big buckets of water in their house when they left for the summer so it wouldn't be so bone dry. Not sure if that would be a good thing or not. Doubtful you'll have a problem with moisture in the tank, so that isn't an issue.

One thing that has been consistent is don't start it unless you can let it get full temp. Also, a battery tender is probably just as important as in the winter.

If it is still outside, I'd really secure the cover. Otherwise winds can get underneath and make it loose, and then it just starts to beat the crap out of your car...
Old 05-19-2008, 11:55 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Wash, dry, wax exterior
Battery maintainer
Overinflate tires and/or Tire Cradles
Fresh oil/filter change (don't store with old oil)
Fill gas to to the top, optional use of fuel stabilizer
Keep windows slightly cracked (optional, helps the seals a bit)
Don't start it unless you can drive it for at least 15 minutes (bringing everything up to temp)
When you take it out of sotrage, remove DME relay, crank car several times to bring up oil pressure, reinstall DME relay, start car and drive.
Beware of outside storage, rodents like to 'nest' in cars and can eat an entire electrical system's wiring.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:31 AM
tshawa
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks guys for the advice. It will surely help keep my baby in good shape for autumn.

Quick Reply: Storing your Porsche