Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had to tow my 993 (a little long)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 02:04 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again for all posts! I got her on the road again. Running great and soaking up the good weather! I've got to check out that Allstate Platinum Card (I only got $100.00 back from my Shell Motorist Club, but not complaining)!

Old 05-29-2008, 03:36 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This happened to me (i.e. alternator died) in another car (not the P-car) and I managed to nurse her the 50+ miles back to where I lived.

You *must* think in terms of the battery being the ONLY source of power to the low-voltage/high-voltage converter for the sparkplugs. *Everything* else (interior lights, radio, horn, headlights, etc. etc.) should be OFF. If you have daytime running lights - pull the relay/fuse.

So long as the battery is in 'reasonable to good condition' - you should be able to keep the motor running and get to safety / or better / get home.

Obviously, during the late evening / nighttime -- you are much better off finding a safe area to then call AAA. (coz headlights will KILL a battery very quickly).

If only a belt goes (immaterial of 'which one') - I carry one of those 'emergency clip together' belts that you can get from the auto-store - which will keep everything running and, very probably, get me home.

I think you made the right 'call' considering the conditions.

Gerry
Old 05-29-2008, 04:39 PM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

This hasn't happened to me (yet). But, in answer to your wife's question, I have driven mine from Phoenix to Bangor, Maine and from Bangor to Laredo, TX. The only problem I had was about 2 hours from Laredo at the end of a 12 hour day of driving the a/c stopped putting out cold air. It was about 98 OAT so it was a hot ride. The next morning it worked fine so I must have overheated the compressor. I wouldn't blame this totally on the age of the car for long trip purposes.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:30 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick Reply: Had to tow my 993 (a little long)