Sponsored by:

sirius satellite radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 10:36 AM
sman911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sirius satellite radio

Hey guys... I have the stock Becker radio in my 98 993. I need to install a Sirius setup. Any suggestions? Crutchfield had recommended an Alpine to replace the original Thoughts??
Old 05-06-2008, 10:58 AM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

I had a Becker Trafficpro recently installed along with a hardwired Sirius Starmate Replay. As you can see from the pic, the Sirius headunit is attached to the left vent grill. Since I'm an open-window driver I don't miss any cooling that would come out of the vent and I can still have access to the gas tank lid lever and headlight swtich.

After trying several different locations for the sirius unit, I settled on this location since it's the most out of the way, but still easy to change stations. I'll take update photos of the setup later, the wires are now totally hidden.
Attached Images  
Old 05-06-2008, 11:35 AM
sman911
Intermediate

Jason, I forgot to mention that I would prefer something that integrates the satellite radio into the receiver. I just sold a 2003 M5 that was setup like that. With the radar detector on the windshield, I don't want to have a seperate unit mounted on the dash.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:07 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

i have an extra starmate unit like the one pictured that I will sell cheap. It is new and I was going to put it in the X% but I went all factory instead.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:35 PM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sman911
Jason, I forgot to mention that I would prefer something that integrates the satellite radio into the receiver. I just sold a 2003 M5 that was setup like that. With the radar detector on the windshield, I don't want to have a seperate unit mounted on the dash.
My '07 550i has integrated Sirius which drives me nuts. You can't store favorite artists/songs and you're allowed only 12 presets. Switching from am/fm to Sirius is also unduly cumbersome. Since you're going the integrated route, I would recommend an Alpine unit so you can also use their excellent iPod interface.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:37 PM
sman911
Intermediate

Thanks guys...appreciate the info Steve
Old 05-06-2008, 12:46 PM
sman911
Intermediate

Mark, you mentioned you had an extra starmate.... I'm interested, how much do you want? Are all wires,etc included? Thanks
Old 05-06-2008, 02:38 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Sman, you have a pm.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:09 PM
C4SJOHN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Where have you installed the antenna for the satllite unit on the outside of your car and how did you route the wires? Can the antenna be painted to match your car? Or do you need to have one at all? Any pictures. Please help me understand. Thanks.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:58 PM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C4SJOHN
Where have you installed the antenna for the satllite unit on the outside of your car and how did you route the wires? Can the antenna be painted to match your car? Or do you need to have one at all? Any pictures. Please help me understand. Thanks.
My antenna is routed through the inside of the car, and the antenna sits on top of a speaker grill. Reception is fantastic (in fact, much better than my BMW's external "shark fin" antenna) and I have not experienced any ill-effects of the antenna's magnetic base interfering with the speaker's sound. Since it's resting inside the car I have no worries about paint scratches.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:18 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

In the 993, it is on the rear tray right under the glass. It works great. On my BMW, I did all the factory parts but instead of using the shark fin, I put the antenna under the plastic rear spoiler at the top of the windew. The reception is great.

Quick Reply: sirius satellite radio