Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New pics with 993 & repainted garage. Does this cement floor look THAT bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 11:27 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by porscheralph
Hey Steve - not to steal the thread but did you ever get the new suspension installed? Pictures please if you did. And to add to the garage floor content - if the "re-price" of the painting of the floor goes up much more you can get the racedeck equivalent from COSTCO for about $750 to do your floor. (45 square feet(one box) for $80 - you would need about 9 boxes). Think about it.
Ralph,

I did get all the suspension parts but have yet to install them. Hopefully soon! As far as using the COSTCO tiles, unfortunately, according to their website, it would cost about $1200. That's $119.99 box X 9 boxes plus one finishing box for $69.99 plus shipping. Looks nice though...

This durable, multi-purpose floor system is designed to give you a clean professional work floor that can withstand tough mechanical environments. It is resistant to oil, grease, petroleum, antifreeze and most household chemicals. Great for garages, shops, retail displays or anywhere tough flooring is needed. Easy to set up and maintain.

A standard one car garage will require approximately 4 boxes of MotoFloor flooring and a standard two car garage will require approximately 8 boxes of flooring.

48-pack
Colors: Black/white, charcoal, red, or blue
Patented multi-purpose floor system designed to give you a clean professional garage
Made from high impact polymer
Built to handle extreme rolling loads
Engineered to withstand tough mechanical environments
Resistant to oil, grease, petroleum, antifreeze and most household chemicals
UV stable
Can be used on any flat surface indoors and outdoors
Easy to set-up, simply snap together to make any size floor
Easy to maintain
Individual tile dimensions: 1’ W x 1' L x 1/2" H
Made in the U.S.A.
Warranty: 10-year limited
MotoFloor® Modular Garage Flooring
Black/White, Charcoal,
Red, or Blue
This durable, multi-purpose floor system is designed to give you a clean professional work floor that can withstand tough mechanical environments. It is resistant to oil, grease, petroleum, antifreeze and most household chemicals. Great for garages, shops, retail displays or anywhere tough flooring is needed. Easy to set up and maintain.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:51 AM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

Steve - COSTCO has these on sale about 2 times a year for 80 a box - I bought then this spring for that much - so if you are willing to wait the cost is not so bad. Like anything else - the wait is sometimes worth it - and you can spend the $$$ now to get the suspension installed.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:52 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Steve,

Looking good man
Old 09-18-2008, 10:13 AM
Chuck A.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the Costco tiles for about 2 years now (got them when on sale). One thing I learned is NEVER use white tiles on a garage floor. Since I don't see any tools in your garage pictures, I'm assuming you don't do much work on your cars. Regardless, just the dirt the tires track in is enough to dull the white tiles. If you actually work on your cars, the oils, fluids, etc. that get spilled also make the white look dull (even if you clean it up).

Since Costco has a lifetime return policy, I'm thinking of returning the tiles and getting the gray ones.

Just something to think about
Old 09-18-2008, 10:28 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chuck A.
I've had the Costco tiles for about 2 years now (got them when on sale). One thing I learned is NEVER use white tiles on a garage floor. Since I don't see any tools in your garage pictures, I'm assuming you don't do much work on your cars. Regardless, just the dirt the tires track in is enough to dull the white tiles. If you actually work on your cars, the oils, fluids, etc. that get spilled also make the white look dull (even if you clean it up).

Since Costco has a lifetime return policy, I'm thinking of returning the tiles and getting the gray ones.

Just something to think about
Good advice then to use the grey tiles only and yes, no tools or DIY'ing in my garage.

Originally Posted by Carrera Mike
Steve,

Looking good man
Thanks, man. Hope it looks better than just "good" at some point soon. I'd like it to look totally awesome. )

Thx,
Steve
Old 09-18-2008, 12:25 PM
verboten
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Epoxy is the way to go! There is no cement dust and EVERYTHING wipes off the floor. Your home will also stay much cleaner because you don't track in dirt when you have to run out to the garage.

I went crazy and love it. I have a professionally installed thick epoxy floor and stained 8' alder wood crown molding. It literally could double as another room in the house.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:02 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Thanks Verboten. I just called my painter, told him to pick up the Rustoleum stuff as other gents on this board have used it with success, and he's scheduled to start it Oct 2. It will be acid etched that day, then 4 days later they'll do the epoxy. He said I should stay off it till the 10th. He said he'd charge me $500 plus the cost of the rustoleum product. He used this in his own garage. He also added that he strongly suggested using the sprinkle stuff in it as it makes it harder and more long lasting (?) and hides the dirt stains a bit. I'm guessing it might make it a little less slippery? That part I forgot to ask.

I'll all about the looks in the end. He said he did 7 garages with Rustoleum and they'll last a LONG time. I hope he's right. He also has a Porsche (uh, 944) and I think, an old Ferrari too.

I'll post pics when it's done - of course! Wish I had the bucks, time and patience to do nicer lighting and better wall art, but I'll be happy with just this. In this economy, I'm happy to be spending money on anything at this point! Scary market these days...

Steve R

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 09-18-2008 at 11:30 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:29 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

The problem with the epoxy paint is it is very prone to lifting.

Yes it is inexpensive, but you have to redo it frequently. And, as was mentioned above, it can be affected by tire marks.

I went with the four different color paint ships sealed epoxy with a top coat of urethane. Seven year warranty if I am unhappy with anything. I'm very pleased.

Now I'm having my posters framed.

Steve, in my humble opinion your posters are mounted too high. You need to bring them down to a level that is easier on the eye. A garage is slightly different than a mount on an interior house wall -- you need to clear the cars a bit. But yours are mounted for a convention of NBA centers. But ultimately it's what works for you.
Attached Images  
Old 09-18-2008, 11:59 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the tip, Mike. I thought by having them up that high, no one would accidentally bump into them sending them crashing down on my car. Guess I need to revisit the height thing and lower them a bit.

As far as the epoxy, I've decided that even if I get a good 4-5 years out of the floor I'd be happy. Not sure what happens if an epoxy floor gets damaged by hot tires lifting up the floor, but I'll cross that bridge when it happens. Seems like racedeck, cheaper versions of racedeck, epoxy, regular floor paint, etc. all have plusses and minuses. For about $700, this is the best bet for me right now.

Your floor looks amazing. I could have called the super professionals and spend $2300 but decided to go "cheap" this time around and I'll see what happens.

Steve
Old 09-19-2008, 04:06 PM
verboten
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Epoxy

+1 Mike in Chi
Attached Images   
Old 09-20-2008, 06:50 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by verboten
+1 Mike in Chi
Verb

Very nice. I think we both picked the same color paint chips...

Quick Reply: New pics with 993 & repainted garage. Does this cement floor look THAT bad?