Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 09:49 AM
kochemoh
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy oil escape from oil filling hose

Hello
Please advise I'm really confused.
On a car running for about 20 minutes after start I've got oil smoke, stopped and realised that engine is covered with oil from filling hose (oil cap was partial opened).
Before that oil level was at about 3\4 measured with dipstick (added about 0,5l before the ride on a car at idle and with temp level at 9 clock with pressure about 3, checked twice with dipstick and dashboard)
After that oil level on dashboard at idle was at 9 o'clock
My only suggestion is that I've done oil fill too fast and had some air in hose. After I tried to accelerate air become too hot and got away with some oil.
Is it possible or is there any known problem of such kind?
Or Im idiot and overfilled oil even if that was checked with dipstick and dashboard?
car works at idle like normal, pressure\temperature is ok too, no strange sounds, no more oil leaks
Thanks in advance and excuse me for my noob question
Serg and carrera cab 94 speed-yellow
Old 04-28-2008, 10:15 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Serg

Welcome to Rennlist.

You mentioned the oil cap was only partially 'on' -- if this is the case, this is your problem. If your dipstick reads within the range with the car hot, engine idling on level ground, chances are you are ok.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:10 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

And in future you must fill the car with the engine running and VERY slowly. The oil that is- not the engine.
I still fill mine too fast from time to time.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:29 AM
MGA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Serg...if I understand your situation, your problem may be that the tube that transports the oil is plastic and prone to the effects of age. It can become very brittle over time and they often crack. I didn't even notice i had a leak, because at that time, i still had the engine cover in-place. My guess is your tube is shot. Replacing is a PITA, unless you get lucky and it comes out in one peice and then the new one can sometimes be inserted the same way.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:19 PM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MGA
Serg...if I understand your situation, your problem may be that the tube that transports the oil is plastic and prone to the effects of age. It can become very brittle over time and they often crack. I didn't even notice i had a leak, because at that time, i still had the engine cover in-place. My guess is your tube is shot. Replacing is a PITA, unless you get lucky and it comes out in one peice and then the new one can sometimes be inserted the same way.
This came up in an earlier thread where the conclusion was that it's not worth replacing the broken filler tube. Better to get a long-neck funnel.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:41 AM
kochemoh
6th Gear

Thanks for your replies
Car goes to techzone today I hope that engine will be fine and it's only hose\cap problem.
Will post more info after that. And anyway I will be even more carefull when fill oil next time)

Quick Reply: oil escape from oil filling hose