Sponsored by:

Convertibel Top Issue - Update

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 06:02 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Convertibel Top Issue - Update

After 2 years of ownership without any problems, something is wrong with my convertible top.

Here are the symptoms:

1. Yesterday, I opened the top as usual and did not notice any difference to the time before. When I closed it in my even garage the top moved back but did not latch in. When I pulled the last 2 cm down by hand, it latched in on both sides. I decided not the operate it until I am back from a DE this weekend.

2. While I was driving on the track today, I noticed some rattle in the middle of the top when I went over bumps. The sound is like metal on metal and it is like a loose rod is bouncing on the frame. This all happens between canvas and liner

3. After I came home tonight, I tried to open the top very slowly and carefully to get access to the rattle area. The top did not operate as smoothly as usual. It appears that the motion started to block after 10 cm of opening. I moved it back to closing position and needed to pull it down to latch it. (see 1.)

What is your read on the issue? Any suggestions on how to start diagnosis?

UPDATE:

I tried to diagnose the problem:

1. I removed both side panels and unscrewed the 19mm Hex bolts (see attached pic)
2. When I operate the top switch in the center console, the slotted inner piece in the driver side gearbox rotates. The passenger side does not rotate. I assume, the problem is on the passenger side.
3. On the passenger side, the cable that connects motor with gearbox vibrates when I push the operator switch. The slotted inner piece in the box cannot be rotated by hand. I assume that the motor is ok and the cable is "broken" where it goes into the gearbox.

I plan to replace the cable and hope that this takes care of the problem. From your experience, is it likely that the gearbox is still ok and the cable change takes car of the issue? Has anyone a pictured instruction on how to replace the cable?

Thanks,
Erik

Thanks,
Erik
Attached Images  
Old 04-27-2008, 07:03 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

http://p-car.com/diy/cabtop/
Old 04-27-2008, 11:20 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Thanks for the link. To all that have the workshop manual: Does it cover the alignment? I would be interested in a copy of this section as a second reference.

Thanks,
Erik
Old 04-28-2008, 11:54 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Erik,

I replaced the cables on my former 993 cab last year. I have a great top guy in Dallas who did it for $100 plus parts ($400). I know you are in Houston, but if you have the car up here, he is a pro. And he is very flexible. I waited while he worked on my car.

He recently did magic on my 20 year old Ferrari top that shrunk and didn't fit well. $250 later, it works like new.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:30 AM
e9stibi
Drifting

After taking out the gearbox with the cable today, I found out that the cable at the gearbox side worked fine. This made me to try the repair of the cable as described at the end of the pcar procedure. My Dremel was really handy for this job. It went all so well that I will do the driver side as a precaution tomorrow before I get it all assembled.

Erik
Old 04-29-2008, 11:15 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

I did the other cable today and this took only 45 minutes. Most of the work was removing the carpet to get full access to the cable. I put it all back together and the alignment appears to be ok. THE TOP IS WORKING AGAIN.

I am ready for a cold one

Quick Reply: Convertibel Top Issue - Update