Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Help! Need my garage floor expoxied in Maryland but my painter isn't knowledgeable...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 10:59 AM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Obie1
Steve.....my 2 cents says that you shouldn't be too afraid of a painter that is only charging $250 + materials. As stated by so many, you need to make sure that you acid etch everything correctly. Besides that, most/all epoxy coating will look great. I have attached a picture of my floor. Sorry it's not a better pic but just wanted to show you my floor which is your standard Home Depot 'Epoxy Coat" paint. Took me very little time to put down. Your painter can acid etch one day then come back the next day and apply the epoxy. The reason it is so cheap is because it will probably be the easiest paint job he has had in months.

Good Luck.
My good friend used this stuff. Very easy to do and it looks great (plus its not slippery). I just rolled mine with garage floor paint and it sucks. Slippery, peeling, etc. This was before I knew any better.

I must say though, I do like the look of the Vinyl
Old 04-26-2008, 01:43 PM
jhummel68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I used a U Coat It product on my garage floor about three years ago and it still looks great - sorry no pics available. When my house was built the builder put a sealer on the floor that was not going to work long term. It also possed a problem when preping the floor for paint as the acid could not get to the concrete. I used an orbital buffer with a 36 grit sanding disc from Home Depot to etch the floor as best I could. The stuff I got from U coat it was the basic medium grey and had them send the aluminum oxide for the nonslip quality. The only thing I would have done differently is add the available clear coat. My floor has zero lifting or peeling anywhere. My floor jack with steel wheels has not done anything to the floor. It is not cheap but it does work. Did it myself. Not hard to apply.

www.ucoatit.com
Old 04-26-2008, 02:38 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 860 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by jhummel68
I used a U Coat It product on my garage floor about three years ago and it still looks great - sorry no pics available. When my house was built the builder put a sealer on the floor that was not going to work long term. It also possed a problem when preping the floor for paint as the acid could not get to the concrete. I used an orbital buffer with a 36 grit sanding disc from Home Depot to etch the floor as best I could. The stuff I got from U coat it was the basic medium grey and had them send the aluminum oxide for the nonslip quality. The only thing I would have done differently is add the available clear coat. My floor has zero lifting or peeling anywhere. My floor jack with steel wheels has not done anything to the floor. It is not cheap but it does work. Did it myself. Not hard to apply.

www.ucoatit.com
Thanks for this great info. So... I just called UCoat it, but I won't be coating it myself, I'll be paying some other person to do it. They said it would cost at the most, $3.50 a sq ft to install it. Ouch, that's $1540. They'd send some guys here to acid etch it, prep it, 2 base coats of U Coat it, a urethane coat and then a decorative flake coat. Dang, that would be SWEET! He recommended for my grey house, shell white interior garage walls, wife's Black car, my silver 993 ... Medium Grey to hide the dirt the best with a granite fleck to furthur hide the dirt. Oh mother of g*d that would be nice... Now, should I really spend this much on my garage floor? Heck no. Could I get it done for alot less with someone else? Yes, with a cheaper product. Is it worth the difference to just ... go for it? Live for today? Screw the money, full steam ahead?

Am I crazy? Possibly.

Tiles? Epoxy? I'm right back at square one, totally confused. I called and left yet another message with my original painter dude that said for the $450 or so he'd epoxy the floor. Waiting to hear back. Will he ever call back? Who knows.

Steve R
Old 04-26-2008, 03:14 PM
jhummel68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm not sure which product the person at U Coat It was talking about or what they were charging to prep and apply the finish but I saw $.44 to $1.49 sq/ft. They must be charging an arm and a leg for putting the stuff down. You may be able to get the painter you find to put this down for much less. I don't have my receipt in front of me but I think it was $220 - $250 for materials.

Here is the link I used. Look under " Residential Floors"

http://www.ucoatit.com/pgs/main.htm
Old 04-26-2008, 04:45 PM
Smiles
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gasser
You might consider staining concrete with a good sealer. We did mine 3 years ago and its holding up great.

We powerwashed the concrete. Cut it into 24 inch tiles. Washed it again with a power washer. Stained it with the water based stain and let it dry. We then sealed it with the concrete sealer. Next we took some black grout and grouted the lines to make it look like finished tile. Lastly we put another coat of sealer on it. Turned out great and much cheaper than the epoxy.

Just an option.

Jeff
That is a great idea, Jeff. It looks more sophisticated, costs less, and won't melt when grinding or welding. Now I have to figure out how to get all the junk in my garage off the floor. And what to do with existing oil spots.

Matt
Old 04-26-2008, 05:09 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 860 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by jhummel68
I'm not sure which product the person at U Coat It was talking about or what they were charging to prep and apply the finish but I saw $.44 to $1.49 sq/ft. They must be charging an arm and a leg for putting the stuff down. You may be able to get the painter you find to put this down for much less. I don't have my receipt in front of me but I think it was $220 - $250 for materials.

Here is the link I used. Look under " Residential Floors"

http://www.ucoatit.com/pgs/main.htm
Thanks, that's actually the link I went to. I called them up too and they quoted me on the high side just to be sure, totally installed price for a 20 X 22 garage to be $1540. Gulp. IThe walls and ceiling and doors have just been painted white today and it looks a million times better than before. I can't wait till it's all done. It would have been nice to have the floor done this same weekend but that's the breaks. It's amazing the difference in how bright a garage can be when it's painted white vs the brownish drywall color from before.

Quick Reply: Help! Need my garage floor expoxied in Maryland but my painter isn't knowledgeable...