Rattle Can Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 01:01 AM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle Can Help

Reading groovzilla's great post on curb rash jsut drove home my frustration with being unable to paint anything other than a fence. invariably my rattle can efforts suck, with splats screwing up a decent effort. So, I decided to screw the rattle cans and use my air brush. But, I know zip about paint "texture" so I thought I'd use the rattle can paint as a pre-mixed source for the air brush. Hence the questions:

Is there a ready-to-use Silber paint source for an air brush?
What is the easiest and cleanest way to drain-off a rattle can?
Does the rattle can paint need to be thinned for an air brush use?
Does anyone routinely use rattle can paint this way?
Any ideas from similarly challenged ten-thumbed competence deficients?

Thanks.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:42 AM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only way I would try to drain a "rattle can" is to hold it upside-down and press the nozzle until the propellant is completely exhausted. Then use an old fashioned can opener on the bottom (the kind that punches a V-notch in the can) to drain it. As for the rest of your questions. . . well I can't help you there. Best of luck.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:33 AM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Painting with rattle cans, can provide great results provided the paints are fresh and of decent quality. The object being painted must be clean, oil, dust free, and warmed slightly.

The propellant and paint should be warmed by placing the rat can in a bucket of hot water and then shaken well, inverted. A quick wipe down of the object with a clean cloth and lacquer thinner will remove any oils that will cause bird's eyes or voids in the paint.

Apply with a steady spray moving past the object maintaining the same distance away. Lay down several thin even coats of paint that's just wet but not so heavy that runs form. Most spray paints will level or smooth themselves out. Spraying in a warm room or booth will help the paint "flash" sooner (propellant disappates leaving paint behind) to dry.

The can of spray paint should be disposed of when there is still a little bit of paint and the sound of the mixing ***** are hitting each other instead of mixing paint. This is a subtle cue that it will start to spit soon. Hang or support the part to be painted if possible so not to touch the freshly applied paint.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:09 AM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing I noticed when using the Einzette Silber is that you have to press the plunger nozzle straight down perfectly or it will splatter. One of my wheels has a bit of splatter on it but its tiny and I was able to correct it by making sure i pressed it down exactly straight.

I dont think I would try the airbrush with spray can paint, but thats just me. Harlan offers good avice in the post above.

Quick Reply: Rattle Can Help