Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pic Request--Fabspeed Supercups on a Widebody ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 02:50 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Mark, was at VIR with THSCC a few weekends ago. The weekend we had a lot of rain.

The off happened on Sunday during the Time Trial. I was in Group 1 and started gridded 7th. On the outgoing lap I was able to get in front of 3 cars. I was on my way to catch number 3, which was an older Datsun/Z car with a big American V8 in it.

We were on North course. As I came out of snake I noticed him approaching the braking zone and about to go into the cut. I hit the braking zone and started going through the cut, knowing I was making up some good time on him.

As I came around Stevie Wonder the yellow flag came out. I saw the flag come out as I was already apexing Stevie, and was loading the car up for the single radius, double apex before the snake and entrance into roller coaster. I noticed the Z car was in a spin (saw the smoke) and was slowing down on the left-side of the track. This happened very quickly...I noticed the car was significantly slower and on the left-side of the track. I had already committed for the turn-in for the next two turns and noticed that he was in the race line (or slightly left of it). Since I had already committed the turn-in I actually held the steering angle a touch longer to adjust my line to go around him to the right (off the race line). Once this was done and I was on my line (still loaded up, asking more of the outside tire than usual since I had to go more right than usual)

That's when the driver make a very distinct move to the right. Great...Now I had nowhere to go. If I lifted the car would swing around and I'd hit him from the side or possibly the rear. If I maintained the throttle I would pierce his car in 2. My immediate thought was 1) there is going to be contact, and 2) I would probably kill him. (I didn't think about me at the time) So, I straightened the wheel, nailed the throttle and went tearing off into the grass way right of track. Once I hit the grass, on slicks and with the help of the rain from all weekend, the car slid across the grass. Naturally, due to the grade, the rear-end starting to come around until it was pointed directly at the ARMCO. A few sec's later there was impact.

I was pissed. Not really scared. Just upset. I saw the damage to the ARMCO (car had spun around after impact) and I was looking for the engine to be laying around somewhere. I was so hot and ticked at myself and the other car that I sat there in the car with steam literally coming off my face. I think I was more upset that I was going to get a DNF when I felt so good about my run.

the important thing is, nobody was hurt. And what about my car? Well, needed a new bumper post, new bumper, and new exhaust. No engine or tranny damage. I had pushed the clutch in during the off and maintained it all the way until the car came to a stop after impact. After a few mins of sitting in the car and exchanging a few glances with the safety crew on the other side of the wall (shaking their heads), I remember the engine was still running when I instinctively lifted my left leg after the car came to a stop.

I turned the key, the engine started up. I engaged 1st gear, 2nd, 3rd, etc. Then went into reverse. Engaged the clutch, backed right out, and drove onto the track (TT was over at this point). Drove right into the paddock. I was amazed since I thought the engine had to be damaged.

When it's all said and done, 2 people walked away from the incident. One had a banged up car. But, I was lucky. Car has no frame damage. No suspension, engine, clutch, or tranny damage. Need a new bumper, new tailights, and a new exhaust.

The cats took the brunt of the impact, collapsing like coke cans. I have even more respect for these cars now...they are solid as a rock.

I'll be at Skip Barber this weekend in ATL to learn some more from the Pro's. Then I'm back on at VIR in May for the next TT. Hopefully this time I can actually finish. ;-)
Old 04-22-2008, 03:22 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Wow, you did get lucky. I'm glad no one got hurt and that the damage was minimal. It sounds like it could have been a lot worse. Thanks for taking the time to write it up.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:27 PM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A little late to the party - not the greatest quality.
Cheers,
Bob
Attached Images   
Old 04-22-2008, 03:48 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Mark, no problem. I agree...very lucky. Glad we both were OK. He did come over and talk to me (the Z driver) and to his credit, the very first words out of his mouth were "Are you OK?" I wasn't happy, but that made me feel a lot better.

THSCC is a great group to run with. They are extremely safe. Great instructors and great track time. I'm very fortunate to run with a group such as THSCC.

I took the time to upgrade a few things while the car was down...can't wait to get back on the racetrack.

Quick Reply: Pic Request--Fabspeed Supercups on a Widebody ?