Sponsored by:

Startup racket

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 11:13 AM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Startup racket

Over the past few days I have had my old man's 993 at the house detailing it for him. I have noticed, in comparison with mine, that on startup his is much more "solid" feeling and sounds much more firm. Mine has a rather loud racket. It does not sound good to me at all compared to his. The best I can describe the noise I get from mine is almost a knocking sound (but not really internal sounding). His feels "tighter" or strapped down harder as its cranking over, where mine feels "loose", if that makes any bit of sense? After they both bump over they sound exactly the same.

What could I be hearing? Bad motor mount? Fan hitting the shroud? Something rolling around inside my engine?!?

I'll get a sound clip here shortly if I can.

FWIW, mine feels faster than his
Both are 95's. His has 73k and mine has 83k. All stock as far as motor stuff other than his K&N air filter.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:37 AM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Bad motor mounts could allow more engine movement, and would probably be more noticeable on startup. It is pretty easy to take the mounts out and inspect them. There have been some previous threads on this, but basically you are looking to see that there isn't a large gap in the lower part of the mount, and that there is no sloshing sound when you shake the mount.

If the cooling fan is hitting, there will be marks on the shroud.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:37 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure if you were referring to the cranking process, or immediate after starting. I recently replaced a starter in a 993 which made a big difference in starting sound. The new starter cranked the motor much more solid and less rattlely.

Last edited by Robin 993DX; 04-18-2008 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:04 PM
Black993
Drifting

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
Not sure if you were referring to the cracking process, or immediate the engine sound after starting. I recently replaced a starter in a 993 which made a big difference in starting sound. The new starter cranked the motor much more solid and less rattlely.
Hmmm, that sounds like a good description Robin. Its on the IMMEDIATE startup as soon as it fires I get a clicking or rattling. How bad was the install on the starter? Dare I even ask!?

I don't notice any marks on the fan blades from hitting the shroud.

One other thing I noticed is that I'll get a knocking or clunking sound when I idle at an autocross while waiting to run. Its very intermittent and clunks once or twice then stops, comes back a minute or two later. Sounds like its coming from the transmission area, not the very rear of the car. Its kind of a "CA-CHUNK" sound. I'd guess around the middle of the hump between the back seats from what I can tell with my helmet on. It only happens once the car is pretty warm (a bit past the 2nd temp mark). I try not to let it get hot enough to do this but at the autoX its rather difficult. Its never done it when in normal driving or not at an autoX.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:30 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Sounds like maybe your dual mass rubber damper on the clutch may be going bad.

Or maybe your pressure plate is damaged?

Old 04-18-2008, 01:42 PM
Black993
Drifting

I know its about time for a clutch (actually over-due). What kind of damage is being done by this?

The pedal is pretty hard compared to the other 993 in the garage and it just recently started sqeeking when depressing the pedal.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:46 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

If you are not having any difficulty in shifting, then the only damage is to the clutch. Which doesn't matter if you are replacing the flywheel and clutch anyways.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:12 PM
Black993
Drifting

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
If you are not having any difficulty in shifting, then the only damage is to the clutch. Which doesn't matter if you are replacing the flywheel and clutch anyways.
THanks for the help with this Robin!
I just get a bit of notchyness when shifting. no grinding or anything unpleasant.

How bad is the stalling issue for LWF on the 95's? I've read so many bad things about it I'm making myself scared. The car is street and autoX'd and soon DE'd. Worth it for the LWF? I see talk of adjusting the ISV to compensate for the stalling.....

Quick Reply: Startup racket