Sponsored by:

OT: Any Prius owners out there?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008 | 03:21 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bull
Any and all that are economically viable for all involved in order for them to be sustainable, not subsidized on life support.

From years in CE industry, I'm pretty familiar with battery technologies, their manf. costs, and recycling programs...both economically viable plans as well as Gov't mandated plans.

Thanks.
That's a pretty obtuse answer. Did you have any specific recommendations? I wasn't aware that the Prius was being subsidized.

Greg H.
Old 04-19-2008 | 03:44 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Greg H.
That's a pretty obtuse answer. Did you have any specific recommendations? I wasn't aware that the Prius was being subsidized.

Greg H.
I am not promoting any technology...never indicated I was. Every Prius is subsidized.
Old 04-19-2008 | 04:02 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Every Prius is subsidized.
How so?

Humor me and assume that oil is not going to get any cheaper and will eventually run out. What do you propose we do about it?

Greg H.
Old 04-19-2008 | 04:16 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Here are a couple: They are sold below manufacturing cost. Governments provide tax incentives to purchasers.

Sorry, no proposals today.
Old 04-19-2008 | 04:22 PM
texas911
Race Car

Really? Can you prove they are sold below manufacturing costs? Do you also work in the Toyota corporate office. Or is this another fun fact you're throwing out there.

BTW, what do you say about Toyota recycling the batteries? Did that answer your question?
Old 04-19-2008 | 04:31 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by texas911
Really? Can you prove they are sold below manufacturing costs? Do you also work in the Toyota corporate office. Or is this another fun fact you're throwing out there.

BTW, what do you say about Toyota recycling the batteries? Did that answer your question?
Toyota has openly reported that....do a search (Do you work in "the Toyota Corporate Office"?). And of course they have a "recycling program". And they have very nice press releases too. My question was is their program cost effective and sustainable in a high volume market.

Anyway, it is obvious that certain things are just not to be questioned with some people. Now back to this PORSCHE website....................
Old 04-19-2008 | 04:34 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

They have sold a million of these things below cost??? As patriotic Americans, we should all buy them just to screw over Toyota. Maybe the domestic manufacturers can compete better against crippled Toyota.

The tax credits for the Prius are the biggest scam around. If you make more than about $150K AGI, you lose it to AMT. I didn't see that advertised anywhere. If Bull is worried about tax credits for the Prius, he must really be upset over Ethanol.

I love people that knock others trying to do good, but have no positive ideas themselves.

Greg H.
Old 04-19-2008 | 04:37 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Toyota has openly reported that....do a search (Do you work in "the Toyota Corporate Office"?). And of course they have a "recycling program". And they have very nice press releases too. My question was is their program cost effective and sustainable in a high volume market.
Link?

Everything I have seen from Toyota says the opposite.

Greg H.
Old 04-19-2008 | 04:51 PM
texas911
Race Car

Toyota has openly reported that....do a search (Do you work in "the Toyota Corporate Office"?). .
Hey you're the one bragging and throwing around that you work in the battery industry and thus your expertise on the matter. Well just wondering if your expertise on Toyota selling the Prius below cost is because of your insider info.

And regarding the battery recycling, if the millions if not billions of conventional batteries can be recycled, why do you question the ability to recycle the potential millions of hybrid batteries? It seems like your views are skewed.
Old 04-19-2008 | 05:01 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Greg H.
They have sold a million of these things below cost??? As patriotic Americans, we should all buy them just to screw over Toyota. Maybe the domestic manufacturers can compete better against crippled Toyota.

The tax credits for the Prius are the biggest scam around. If you make more than about $150K AGI, you lose it to AMT. I didn't see that advertised anywhere. If Bull is worried about tax credits for the Prius, he must really be upset over Ethanol.

I love people that knock others trying to do good, but have no positive ideas themselves.

Greg H.
OK, one last time Greg...nice job of obfuscating the issue and throwing out your bushel of red herrings! Lets see, you bring up "domestic manufacturers", "screw over Toyota", "AMT" and "Ethanol" all in one post! Come on, you must have more.....

And Texas, I was "bragging"???? And I said I work in the "battery industry"???? Nope. I simply stated my experience in the Consumer electronics Industry (sorry for confusing you with the use of CE industry). Try again.

Last edited by Bull; 04-19-2008 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-19-2008 | 10:00 PM
Rudolph
Advanced

Greg is correct that the Federal tax savings are lost to AMT. But, in Connecticut we do not have to pay 6% State sales tax on certain hybrid vehicles, including the Prius. Nice not to pay sales tax.
Old 04-20-2008 | 12:29 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

Prius tax deduction (subsidy) went from $3150 in 2006 to $0 at 1 Oct 2007.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/tax_hybrid.shtml

A different form of subsidy is that everybody pays for the commuter lane, but government restricts its use.

I would much rather have a high mpg, high performance diesel of the kind I rent 3x/year in Europe. But if I had to commute over 30 miles or 30 minutes each way, I would get a Prius.
Old 04-20-2008 | 05:31 AM
Hot Oil
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Saw a great bumper sticker on a Prius recently...

"Got Prius Envy?"
I saw a great bumper sticker on a Fusion recently, " Kill a whale, buy a Toyota".
Old 04-20-2008 | 11:41 AM
flatspin
Advanced

Why would you want a hybrid? Don't want to get on a rant here; But you can get nearly the same "real world" fuel economy from a VW Jetta Turbo diesel (or any number of small gasoline cars come to that). You'll get a bigger, more practical, car with much better performance; and a dirt simple drivetrain. You won't have the complexity of two drive systems, or the worries about replacing expensive battery packs in 5-7 years. Diesel has gone up in price in recent years, but I'd still consider it a more viable solution. At least until battery technology improves to the point that you can have practical "plug and drive" electric cars. Just my humble opinion,
Old 04-20-2008 | 02:17 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

"Why would you want a hybrid? Don't want to get on a rant here; But you can get nearly the same "real world" fuel economy from a VW Jetta Turbo diesel (or any number of small gasoline cars come to that)."

Right! As an example my new '08 Mini Cooper S provides 30 MPG (min),
40 MPG (avg) and over 50 MPG (in 6th cruising).

Quick Reply: OT: Any Prius owners out there?