Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can someone clarify seat options?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 05:36 PM
Smiles
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can someone clarify seat options?

I'm hunting for a 993, and am doing my research. That includes using the "Search" functioon here. I think I understand what all of the different seat options are, but I'm still unclear as to how they compare.

How do comfort seats differ from stock seats? Also, how do sport seats differ? What exactly is a "hard backed" seat and how does it differ from stock? How is supple leather differ from stock? (Is stock the one with perferations?) With full leather, what additional surfaces are covered in leather, and what would they be covered in if stock?

I apologize for so many simple questions. I really did search, but couldn't find answers that compared the relative differences. Thanks,

Matt
Old 04-17-2008, 07:21 PM
clubrsr993
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Courtesy of search button. Hope it helps...

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=53698

Old 04-17-2008, 10:43 PM
Smiles
Pro

Originally Posted by SPDYELW
Courtesy of search button. Hope it helps...
Thank you. It helps a little.

I understand the aftermarket options, which is the first thread, although I really want to know the difference between the stock seats. The second deals with sport seats, which makes sense to be more bolstered, but I still don't know how comfort seats compare: are they more cushy? And the last is a comparison of 996 and 993 seats, but I just want to know what 993s originally could have.

I don't mean to be negative. I appreciate your posts. I've already searched through for quite a while, and have already come up with a lot of similar posts, like I said. I simply haven't come out with the simple comparison of what the options actually provided.

Thanks!!
Old 04-17-2008, 11:03 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

How do comfort seats differ from stock seats?
Comfort seats are the base, stock, no option seats. They have perfed leather seating surfaces, vinyl sides and backs and crescent shaped stitching on the inserts.
Also, how do sport seats differ? What exactly is a "hard backed" seat and how does it differ from stock?
Early ('94-early '95 build cars) sport seats look exactly like the stock comfort seats but with more prominent bolstering on the bottom cushion and back cushion. They have excellent side support. Later sport seats have a hard shell back, shoulder bolsters, and less deep side bolsters. They're more for looks and don't give very good support.
How is supple leather differ from stock?
The inserts are gathered/pleated. I think it's more, um, supple, too.
(Is stock the one with perferations?)
Supple is not perforated. All others are.
With full leather, what additional surfaces are covered in leather, and what would they be covered in if stock?
I'll leave that one to someone else. Vinyl or uncovered textured plastic.

As a final note: if you're thinking about which ones you might prefer, you MUST sit in them. The ones that look the coolest (hard back sport seats) and are very expensive, are really not very sporting. The comfort seats aren't very supportive in any direction. And the supple seats look like they came from a Buick. As with the four spoke steering wheel, the 993 era was not Porsche's finest for seats.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:47 AM
Smiles
Pro

Thank you very much, RallyJon. This is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for.

Originally Posted by RallyJon
As with the four spoke steering wheel, the 993 era was not Porsche's finest for seats.
You make a very good point. The four-spoke steering wheel will be one of the first things to go! And, ultimately, I might do a similar 996 upgrade to the seats. But I still want to understand what the original options were first.

Originally Posted by RallyJon
Comfort seats are the base, stock, no option seats.
I don't mean to argue, especially when you've been so helpful, but if "comfort" seats are base, stock, no option seats, then what are options 437 and 438? Aren't they comfort seats, left and right, above and beyond the stock base seats?

Thanks again,

Matt
Old 04-18-2008, 10:20 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Smiles

I don't mean to argue, especially when you've been so helpful, but if "comfort" seats are base, stock, no option seats, then what are options 437 and 438? Aren't they comfort seats, left and right, above and beyond the stock base seats?

Thanks again,

Matt
The stock comfort seats are assigned an option code because as the initial buyer you would have the option on choosing seats. Therefore all the seat types are assigned an option code to indicate what type of seats originally came with the car.

With full leather you would most likely have the dash covered, the door upper panels, and the sun visors. You could also see the center console covered. One of my 993's came like that but there are options listed for the visors and the center console. IMO the full leather option is a really nice thing to have. My other 993 came stock and you cant compare the 2. Also Porsche has the special wishes department, you could have literally everything covered in leather from the vents to the instrument surround to the light switch.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:33 AM
Smiles
Pro

Thank you, Danny. That clears that up for me.

Thanks also for the opinion that the full leather is a really nice option. I'll keep an eye out for it in my 933 search.

Quick Reply: Can someone clarify seat options?