Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 03:31 PM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Suspension Help ASAP please

Guys,

I need your help and advise. Here's the story:

I brought my car in for new suspension install. They discovered that the rear top shock mount is cracked (see photo).

I am trying to have 1 rushed in overnight to the dealer ($140 + $40 rush fee...there are none in Quebec, only USA) where I will do my alignment. If they get it by 11AM, they will install and and do my alignment. If not, I will have to wait till next week.

My questions:
-Is it a MUST to change this piece?
-The other side loosk fine, so I am not changing it, is this a mistake?
-if I get the car aligned tomorrow and then install the piece next week, do I have to go for an alignment again?

I appreciate the insight...TIA,
Sam
Attached Images  
Old 04-17-2008, 03:58 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By the number of NON-responses ...I think you already have your answer.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:14 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It appears that the break allows the upper suspension mount to push up. If that happens it will change the geometry of your front wheel and result in misalignment. So, in short, yes, you will have to get it aligned after replacing the mount.

As for necessity, I would certainly want my suspension mount replaced eventually. Are you up against a time constraint? You seem anxious on getting it done ASAP.

If it was me I would not replace the good mount, but I would check it from time to time.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:14 PM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by g_murray
By the number of NON-responses ...I think you already have your answer.
not really!!!
Old 04-17-2008, 04:16 PM
targagr
Pro

sam im not sure but i might have one if i brought it from greece.ill check tonight.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:17 PM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

If they dont get the part by tommorrow, can I drive the car over the weekend, with the bad mount and NO alignment?
Old 04-17-2008, 04:22 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993C4Smontreal
If they dont get the part by tommorrow, can I drive the car over the weekend, with the bad mount and NO alignment?
I would, but, of course, my name is MisterRisky.

You can drive it around town, but I would avoid high speeds and such. You don't want to put hundreds of miles on it because the lack of alignment will wear your tires, but tens of miles should be fine. You also don't want to go at high speeds so when that mount breaks all the way through you will find that handling is hard. Oh.. and you should go really slow on speed bumps.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:33 AM
dhicks
Drifting

How much risk do you want to take......on one side you could be absolutely fine and no isssues, have a nice w/e and take the car in next week......on the other hand you could find yourself going through a fast sweep or down a fast road and go over a bump, the suspension mount breaks loose, suspension geometry and steering is upset enough to send you off the road/ into the barriers/ into another car and the result may be anything from a small scrape to serious body damage to death of another individual.....now ask your self, with risks like that, why would you pay to have your mechanic rebuild the suspension with the bad part, to drive it one week end, then pay for it to be rebuilt with new part next week.........Dude, just be patient, wait for the part and then enjoy your well set up car once its back on the road!.....just my 2c
Old 04-18-2008, 10:32 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Sam,
Definately replace the torn mount and have the other checked. I'm suprised at the damage as these are pretty robust. Have you been jumping creeks with the car lately?

Andreas
Old 04-18-2008, 10:50 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

I'd probably just wait wait for the part and have it completed the right way rather than risk it.

I have 3 back up vehicles so being without any car for a few days never bothers me.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:57 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Sam,
If your supplier screws up, I'm sure that I have a pair of these rear mounts available (used). Delay time would be expedited shipping from NS to PQ.
I would not do a full alignment if the rear had to come apart again in a few days - and it is unlikely that the torn mount would fail catastrophically.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:55 AM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Garth S
Sam,
If your supplier screws up, I'm sure that I have a pair of these rear mounts available (used). Delay time would be expedited shipping from NS to PQ.
I would not do a full alignment if the rear had to come apart again in a few days - and it is unlikely that the torn mount would fail catastrophically.
PM sent.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:50 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 993C4Smontreal
PM sent.
Responded to ... yours for shipping, but would need an address before the local PO closes up early ( we live in the sticks, you know )
Old 04-18-2008, 02:47 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, you've been driving the car with a broken mount so I don't think the car is going to fly off the road over the course of the next few days. Having said that, I wouldn't drive it fast and would hold off on that weekend cruise. You'll probably feel a lot of popping in the steering when you turn (if it's a front mount).
Old 04-18-2008, 11:08 PM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

update:

1st off thanks for all the advise. The dealer didnt get my part on time for a Friday install. I was in a hurry only becase its our 1st nice weekend and I wamted to take the baby out.

Since I would have to wait till monday, Garth was kind enough to offer me a FREE used mount and shipped it overnight. Monday or tuesday I will be back in the garage for R&R mount, and then the alignment.

I have driven the car a bit since yesterday, and frankly it drives great, doesnt even feel like it needs an alignment.

I will post the final result, but so far the care looks GREAT at its new height.

sam

Quick Reply: Need Suspension Help ASAP please