Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newly aquired 993 stumbles, bucks, and backfires under load at half to full throttle

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 05:35 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

bad gas. To come on so quickly.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:00 PM
midnite993
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VNTGSPD
Going back to the simple things...

Did the problem occur immediately after the air filter change? If so, I would do two things:

1. Remove the filter and drive the car to see if the problem persists. I have read of filters "collapsing" under vacuum pressure from the intake manifold. I think this was mostly limited to aftermarket airboxes without sufficient clamping force to hold the filter in place. This would potentially cause the stumbling/loss of power.

2. Check all hoses/wiring going to the MAF and surrounding area to ensure something wasn't bumped or pulled loose during the filter install. If the car ran well after the change and then developed the problem shortly after, this could still be the problem.
I already tried #1 as I read that in the archives as well. I will try #2, then remove and clean the MAF if that doesn't work.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:48 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oil from the K&N can foul the MAF sensor. Remove it to clean it, not too hard and give it a good spraying. I have been told once it messes up the sensor, replacement is necessary. Maybe you could borrow one from another car to test before spending $ if cleaning doesn't do it.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:40 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

You might as well clean the ISV when that is out.

Good luck.

CP
Old 04-16-2008, 11:05 PM
midnite993
Racer

WOOOHOOOO! EUREKA! The MAF sensor it was. I took it out and sprayed it down with the CRC MAF cleaner according to their directions and it runs awesome now!

I'm thinking that when I removed and replaced that K&N with the paper filter, some dust/dirt must have dislodged from the K&N as I was removing it and then got sucked into the MAF contaminating it. These filters are popular as my other 993 has a K&N also. I replaced the one on my new 993 with a paper one due to all the controversy about them...perhaps the naysayers are right.

Can't wait to hit the 190 this weekend...such a fast diagnosis would not have been possible if not for Rennlist. THANKS TO ALL...the $32 I spent for 2 years membership is the best money I've ever invested!!!

Replace that white truck on the 190 with my blue 993 and you'll get the picture.

Last edited by midnite993; 08-13-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:55 PM
CP
Race Director

Very happy for you. Have a fun and safe drive.

CP
Old 04-17-2008, 12:14 AM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats great news!.... This board is a massive source of knowledge, and another problem solved.

Congrats.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:36 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 550 Likes on 347 Posts

There were several theories offered up as to the cause of this problem...Only one was correct...It would be great if someone with the technical knowledge would conduct an "after action review" on this thread and post an appropriate sequence of diagnostic tasks for this type of problem....Kind of like: Start with A. If "Yes" then go to B. If "No" then go to C....The result could be published as a "Here's How You Diagnose Stumbling on Acceleration DIY."
Old 04-17-2008, 09:46 AM
99three
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great news! This is an awesome place.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:20 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by TMc993
There were several theories offered up as to the cause of this problem...Only one was correct...It would be great if someone with the technical knowledge would conduct an "after action review" on this thread and post an appropriate sequence of diagnostic tasks for this type of problem....Kind of like: Start with A. If "Yes" then go to B. If "No" then go to C....The result could be published as a "Here's How You Diagnose Stumbling on Acceleration DIY."

You are right, only one was correct, but if all had read this phrase before, how many would have had it correct? not me, I really was thinking fuel

I'm thinking that when I removed and replaced that K&N with the paper filter, some dust/dirt must have dislodged from the K&N as I was removing it and then got sucked into the MAF contaminating it..
Old 04-17-2008, 11:02 AM
midnite993
Racer

Yes, there was only one correct answer, but it could very well have been any one of the answers! Technically, it was a fuel issue because the MAF was telling the fuel system to flood the engine. Lots of possibilities.

What a great idea though for a DIY article. I think I could write up a pretty good DIY on this (I write computer instruction manuals), then submit it to the board for changes, mistakes, and additions. If I did that do you think someone like Robin or Pcarworkshop.com would post it?
Old 04-17-2008, 11:04 AM
CP
Race Director

My M5 and my Miata both had the stumbling symptoms. I was thinking fuel in both cases, so much so that I actually changed the fuel pump in the Miata. Did nothing.

The M5borad is full of threads on MAF failures, and that was indeed the cause of my car problems, both M5 and Miata. We normally don't associate MAF as a maintenence item, but now it's ingrained in my brain that stumbling could possibly be caused by MAF issues. That does make sense as the MAF actually tells the computer how much fuel to send based on how much air it 'perceives' is flowing. Thus a sputtering MAF could cause the ECU to direct sputtering fuel delivery, and engine stumbles.

Just my 2 cents. In any case, just glad he solved the problems.

CP
Old 04-17-2008, 11:48 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 550 Likes on 347 Posts

Please understand that I wasn't being critical of anyone's suggestions. As far as I know, they were all valid possibilities. At the same time, I'm sure that some were more possible, or perhaps more likely, than others.

I was just hoping that someone who had the knowledge to do so could develop a "sequential task analysis" of how to go through the process of troubleshooting the problem, moving from the simplest, most likely possibilites to the more complex and/or less likely.

We have access to a lot of DIYs. The problem is the DIYs do not always explain how to know when it is necessary to DIY.

It seems to me that would be nice to develop a similar set of "Troubleshooting Sequences" so that we could systematically and methodically go through a process that would lead us to the proper solution in the least amount of time and the highest probability of accuracy.

I once knew a master mechanic who distinguished between a mechanic and a "parts hanger." According to him, a mechanic used common sense and vaild troubleshooting sequences to isolate and repair any given problem. "Parts hangers" just start putting new parts on until the problem goes away.

I'd like to be more of a mechanic than a parts hanger and thought that troubleshooting sequences might be an answer.

Again, no disrespect intended.

Regards,
Terry
Old 04-17-2008, 12:17 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TMc993
...I was just hoping that someone who had the knowledge to do so could develop a "sequential task analysis" of how to go through the process of troubleshooting the problem,
I once knew a master mechanic who distinguished between a mechanic and a "parts hanger." According to him, a mechanic used common sense and vaild troubleshooting sequences to isolate and repair any given problem. "Parts hangers" just start putting new parts on until the problem goes away.
Unfortunately, these 2 ideas kind of conflict. You can't really come up with a "sequential task analysis" since there are waaaay too many variables. A smart analyst needs to understand all the tests and failure modes then devise a plan only after weighing each test procedure on 2 categories:
(1) how easy is it to do, and
(2) how likely is it to solve the problem.

Here, the OP (a) asked us what tests were available and might solve the problem, then (b) started with the easiest one (clean the MAF) and fortunately it worked. The workshop manuals have a nice matrix of problems with symptoms, but cleaning the MAF isn't on it!
Old 04-17-2008, 12:40 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ditto X 1000 on the multiple 'possibilities' piece...

Originally Posted by midnite993
Yes, there was only one correct answer, but it could very well have been any one of the answers! Technically, it was a fuel issue because the MAF was telling the fuel system to flood the engine. Lots of possibilities.

What a great idea though for a DIY article. I think I could write up a pretty good DIY on this (I write computer instruction manuals), then submit it to the board for changes, mistakes, and additions. If I did that do you think someone like Robin or Pcarworkshop.com would post it?

Quick Reply: Newly aquired 993 stumbles, bucks, and backfires under load at half to full throttle